Timothy J. Grenno, Fire Chief
56 Temple St.
Whitman, MA 02382
For Immediate Release
Tuesday, March 26, 2019
Contact: Benjamin Paulin
Email: [email protected]
Whitman Fire Department Extinguishes House Fire on Raynor Avenue
WHITMAN — Chief Timothy J. Grenno reports that the Whitman Fire Department extinguished a house fire on Raynor Avenue early Tuesday morning.
At approximately 4:30 a.m., the Whitman Fire Department responded to a report of a house fire at 142 Raynor Ave.
Upon arrival, firefighters came upon the single-family ranch-style home that had an outside wall of an attached garage that was on fire. The fire had extended up the exterior wall and into the interior walls of the garage. The Abington Fire Department responded to the scene to provide assistance.
The fire was able to be quickly knocked down by the on-duty shift, and firefighters successfully prevented the flames from spreading further into the house.
The initial investigation indicates that the fire started accidentally due to the spontaneous combustion of oily rags that were used earlier in the day to strip a floor.
No injuries were reported.
A passerby noticed the fire and called 911 and also woke the family inside and helped them safely get out of the house prior to the arrival of the fire department.
“I would like to commend the passerby for their quick actions in calling 911 and having the wherewithal to wake up the family and get them out of the house,” Chief Grenno said. “Anyone dealing with oily rags or cloths should never leave them in a pile and should hang them up to dry or lay them out on the ground. As the rags dry they give off heat and if the heat is not released it can cause a fire.”