Western Union to Reimburse Stoneham Residents Who Lost Money through Wire Transfer Scams

spd patch

Chief James McIntyre
47 Central Street
Stoneham, MA 02180-2044

For Immediate Release

Tuesday, Nov. 28, 2017

Contact: John Guilfoil
Phone: 617-993-0003
Email: [email protected]

Western Union to Reimburse Stoneham Residents Who Lost Money through Wire Transfer Scams

STONEHAM — Chief James McIntyre and the Stoneham Police Department would like to alert residents who were victims of a wire transfer scam that they can now get their money back if they made payments through Western Union.

According to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), people who lost money to scammers by paying through Western Union between January 1, 2004 and January 19, 2017 are now eligible to receive their money back if they file a claim by Feb. 12.

The reimbursement eligibility comes after the FTC reached a settlement with Western Union earlier this year. Western Union agreed to return $586 million to settle the FTC’s claim that it did not adequately protect people from fraud.

“We’re happy to see that the victims of this scam will finally get their money back,” Chief McIntyre said. “In most instances, once someone falls victim to a scam involving wired funds, that money is gone forever. However, it’s still important for residents to remember to never wire money to someone they don’t know and to call police immediately if you feel you’re a target of a scam.”

For those who wish to file a claim, the FTC provided the following information:

  • If you already reported your case to Western Union, the FTC or another government agency, you might get a claim form in the mail. The forms were mailed on Nov. 13 and were sent from Gilardi & Co. LLC, which is handling the claims.
  • Claims can be filed online, however the Claim ID and PIN number are required. Both can be found on the form sent in the mail.
  • If you didn’t already report your loss, or you didn’t receive a claim form in the mail, go online to file your claim here.
  • If you’re submitting a new claim, or wish to change the pre-filled amount on the claim form you got in the mail, you’ll be asked for documentation that can be uploaded or sent in by mail. If you don’t have documentation, you can still complete the form and give as much detail as possible. Your information will be validated against your Western Union money transfer history.
  • You do not have to pay to get your money back. Don’t pay anyone who says they can file a claim for you. Nobody will call you to ask for your bank account or credit card number and it’s free to file your claim online.
  • The U.S. Department of Justice is handling the remission process. It will take up to a year to validate all the claims and return money to people affected.

For updates and claim forms, please visit FTC.gov/WU.