Norman Sanborn, Fire Chief
37 Wakefield Street
Rochester, NH 03867
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2017
Contact: John Guilfoil
Rochester, N.H. Fire Responds to Gas Leak at Walmart
ROCHESTER — Chief Norman Sanborn reports that the Rochester Fire Department stopped a gas leak at a major department store earlier today.
Just after 11 a.m., Engine 1, Truck 1, Chief 3 and Chief 5 responded to Walmart, 116 Farmington Road, for a reported gas leak. Upon arrival, firefighters found the building evacuated and quickly filling with propane due to a worker rupturing a line in the building’s interior.
Crews quickly secured the propane tanks and stopped the supply of gas to the building. The building was ventilated, and gas technicians were called to the scene to make repairs.
No injuries were reported.
“It is our duty to care for not only Rochester residents, but also those who work and shop in our community every day,” Chief Sanborn said. “I commend the responding officers for quickly dismantling the flow of gas into the store and ensuring the safety of Walmart employees and shoppers.”