Michael J. D’Entremont
Chief of Police
600 High St.
Dedham, MA 02026
For Immediate Release
Tuesday, Jan. 15, 2019
Contact: Benjamin Paulin
Email: [email protected]
Dedham Police Department Honors Officer James Lemanski as 2018 Officer of the Year
DEDHAM — Chief Michael D’Entremont is pleased to announce that Officer James Lemanski was named the Dedham Police Department’s Officer of the Year for 2018.
Since 2011, the award is given each year to the Dedham Police officer who most exemplifies the department’s mission and core values.
“It is important for the department to recognize officers who consistently do more than is expected of them in support of our mission,” Chief D’Entremont said. “Self-motivated, professional, reliable, trustworthy and dedicated are just some of the qualities that Officer Lemanski possesses, which provides immeasurable value to the department and the Dedham community as a whole.”
Officer Lemanski, who has been a Dedham Police office since 2009, is involved in a number of department and community initiatives:
- As a Traffic Officer he is consistently a productive leader in enforcing traffic laws in the community
- He has supported community engagement and the education of members of the public on traffic laws by getting involved in the Department’s Citizens Police Academy
- He participated in a multi-agency sobriety checkpoint in support of roadway safety
- He supported roadway safety by working additional shifts under grant funding designed to address impaired operation, distracted driving and occupant safety
- He is an active and dedicated member of the Metropolitan Law Enforcement Council’s SWAT team, which requires multiple training activities each month and responses to critical incidents throughout the service area as needed
- He serves as a Firearms Instructor for the Department, training fellow officers on the use of firearms semi-annually as well as critical thinking simulations
- Along with another officer, he took on a pivotal role in becoming an instructor, developing policy, constructing a training plan and training his fellow officers on a new use of force option, Electronic Control Weapons, in support of officer safety
- He actively participated in a school safety active shooter drill at Dedham High School
On Tuesday, Chief D’Entremont presented Officer Lemanski with a plaque and a letter of commendation in front of his fellow officers.
“I want to congratulate and thank Officer Lemanski for his tireless efforts over the past year, many of which will continue into the new year,” Chief D’Entremont said. “I look forward to his continued success and contributions in serving the Dedham community.”
Former recipients of the award are:
- 2017 – Detective James Quigley
- 2016 – Officer Richard Flint
- 2015 – Officer Brian Crump
- 2014 – Officer Brian Cullinane
- 2013 – Detective Robert Walsh
- 2012 – Detective Richard Porro
- 2011 – Detective Kevin Mahoney