Exeter High School Students Excel at Latin Competition

saulogo

New Hampshire School Administrative Unit 16
Christine Rath, Interim Superintendent
30 Linden Street
Exeter, NH 03833

For Immediate Release

Wednesday, Dec. 13, 2017

Media Contact: John Guilfoil
Phone: 617-993-0003
Email: john@jgpr.net

Exeter High School Students Excel at Latin Competition

EXETER — Interim Superintendent Christine Rath is pleased to congratulate the Exeter High School students who put on a strong showing at a statewide Latin quiz competition earlier this month.

On Saturday, Dec. 2, 11 Exeter students traveled to the annual Granite State Certamen at Dover High School, where they earned multiple accolades while competing against fellow Latin students from throughout New Hampshire.

The event is hosted by the New Hampshire Classical Association, which is a group of teachers, professors and lovers of the Classics dedicated to promoting them.

In the intermediate division, Exeter claimed first and third place honors. The first place group included Tyler Silverwood, Noah Robinson, Andrew McElroy and Sawyer Rogers, while Barrett Su, Alayna Chichester, Julia Tennant and Sophia Rubens finished in third place.

Exeter students Loren Brooks and Weston Su placed third in the advanced division. In both divisions, a single tiebreaker question separated the second and third place winners.

“I’m proud of all of our Latin students for the effort and enthusiasm they displayed at this competition,” Superintendent Rath said. “Unique events like this help to pass on a love and passion for the classics on to the next generation.”

###




In First for New Hampshire, Comcast to Overbuild Telecommunications Service in Rochester

  City of Rochester
Daniel Fitzpatrick, City Manager
31 Wakefield Street
Rochester, NH 03867

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Wednesday, Dec. 6, 2017

Media Contact: John Guilfoil
Phone: 617-993-0003
Email: john@jgpr.net

Comcast and Rochester sign 10-year Cable Franchise

First-of-its-Kind Development for New Hampshire

Comcast Plans to Begin Construction in 2018 to Deliver a New Choice for Residents and Businesses

ROCHESTER — Comcast and the City of Rochester announced today they have signed a 10-year cable franchise, giving residents and businesses in Rochester a new choice for TV, internet, voice, home automation and wireless services.

In a first in New Hampshire’s history, construction of an overbuild to extend Comcast’s advanced network into the city will begin in 2018.

Comcast will also make available internet speeds of up to 1 Gbps for residents and 100 Gbps to business customers.

“We welcome and applaud Comcast’s commitment to serve Rochester with its innovative services, and we are exceptionally pleased that Rochester will soon be able to offer a new choice of television, internet, and phone providers to our residents and growing list of business owners,” said Rochester City Manager Daniel Fitzpatrick.

The buildout will benefit Rochester’s more than 30,000 residents and the city’s quickly growing business community. Rochester is already recognized as one of the most business-friendly cities in New Hampshire. The city is rated “A+” for business friendliness by Thumbtack, and the Rochester Economic Development Corporation provides business owners with a litany of resources and information on programs, incentives, and financing solutions.

Today, Comcast is available in 103 communities in New Hampshire and employs over 2,000 people in New Hampshire.

Comcast will offer Rochester customers its complete portfolio of Xfinity services, including:

Rochester businesses will also have access to the Comcast Business suite of products, which include

Of note, Granite State businesses have selected Comcast Business as the #1 telecom provider for the last five years in a row as part of the annual BOB/Best of Business Award from New Hampshire Business Review.

Comcast gives back to the communities where its employees and customers live and work and supports nonprofit organizations focused on digital inclusion, volunteerism and service. In New Hampshire, Comcast partners with organizations such as Big Brothers Big Sisters, Girls Inc. and Boys & Girls Clubs. Also, Comcast’s Internet Essentials program is available throughout the Granite State. It is designed to help families with children in the National School Lunch Program as well as residents of HUD-assisted housing. Eligible customers can obtain Internet service for $9.95/month, participate in free digital literacy training programs and have the opportunity to buy a computer for less than $150.

“We are delighted to sign this 10 year franchise agreement with the City of Rochester and we are eager to bring our Xfinity and Comcast Business products and services to a city where there is clear consumer demand,” said Tracy Pitcher, Senior Vice President for Comcast’s Greater Boston Region.

 

###




Bedford, N.H. Police Provide Storm Update

Bedford Police Department
John J. Bryfonski, Chief of Police
55 Constitution Drive
Bedford, NH 03110

For Immediate Release

Tuesday, Oct. 31, 2017

Contact: John Guilfoil
Phone: 617-993-0003
Email: john@jgpr.net

Bedford, N.H. Police Provide Storm Update

Trick-or-Treating Postponed to Nov. 5

BEDFORD, N.H. — Chief John J. Bryfonski and the Bedford Police Department seek to provide members of the public with an update on the conditions in town and the repair/clean-up efforts underway.

Bedford was hit hard by the overnight storm on Sunday. As a result, the Town of Bedford has postponed the official trick-or-treating day and time to Sunday, Nov. 5 from 2-6 p.m.

“It was deemed necessary to postpone trick-or-treating in order to ensure the safety of the children and families in our community as work crews perform their vital work,” Chief Bryfonski said.

Portions of the following roads remain closed Tuesday:

  • Oak Drive by #3
  • Old English Road by #11
  • Ministerial Road by #65
  • Ministerial Road by Chandler Road
  • McAllister Road by #28
  • Forest Drive by #80
  • Constance Street between #22-44
  • Buttonwood by Deacon
  • Barrington Drive
  • Meadowcrest Drive by #63
  • Pinecrest Drive by #54

NOTE: THIS LIST OF CONDITIONS IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

Chief Bryfonski urges residents who do not need to be on the roads to keep the streets clear to help crews work unabated. If you must be on the roads, use extreme caution.

Electrical hazards remain in town, and all residents and motorists are cautioned to avoid live or downed wires, even if you suspect the wires are cable or telephone lines. Downed wires pose hazards to all, and town crews must be assisted by Eversource on-site before final cleanups can be completed. Always keep a safe distance from downed wires.

Generator Safety

Approximately 15 percent of Eversource customers in Bedford remain without power at this time.

For those using generators, the Bedford Police Department urgently remind residents to use extreme caution and allow for proper ventilation. Never use a generator indoors or inside a garage. Keep generators away from HVAC air intakes.

For more generator safety tips, visit Redcross.org.

Free Drinking/Cooking Water Available 

Potable water is available at the Bedford Public Safety Complex, located at 55 Constitution Drive.

Decision on Schools Coming Wednesday Morning

The Bedford School District will inform the community as to whether or not schools will be open on Wednesday. That announcement is expected no later than 5 a.m. Wednesday.

“On behalf of the men and women of the Bedford Police Department, I wish to thank all of our residents for their patience and cooperation,” Chief Bryfonski said. “And as always, if you see something, say something.”

###




Bedford Police Investigating After Threat Reported at High School

Bedford Police Department
John J. Bryfonski, Chief of Police
55 Constitution Drive
Bedford, NH 03110

For Immediate Release

Wednesday, Oct. 25, 2017

Contact: John Guilfoil
Phone: 617-993-0003
Email: john@jgpr.net

Bedford Police Investigating After Threat Reported at High School

BEDFORD — Chief John J. Bryfonski reports that the Bedford Police Department is investigating after a threat was found in a restroom at Bedford High School earlier today.

Around 1 p.m., Bedford Police responded to the high school, 47 Nashua Road, after administrators reported that an unspecific, unsubstantiated threat was found written on a bathroom door.

Out of an abundance of caution, the school was evacuated and Bedford Police conducted a search of the building. Nothing suspicious was located.

The incident remains under investigation by the Bedford Police Department. Anyone with any information is asked to call the Bedford Police Department Detective Division at 603-472-5113.

###