Chief Robert Rufo
25 Harrison Ave.
Woburn, MA 01801
For Immediate Release
Friday, Feb. 1, 2019
Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
Woburn Police Charge Husband and Wife with Dealing Fentanyl, Cocaine
WOBURN — Chief Robert Rufo reports that the Woburn Police Department, in partnership with the Southern Middlesex Regional Drug Task Force, arrested a man, filed a criminal complaint against his wife and seized large quantities of illegal narcotics during the execution of two search warrants on Thursday.
MICHAEL CORTEZ NELSON, AGE 51, OF WOBURN was arrested and charged with:
- Trafficking in Fentanyl Over 10 Grams
- Trafficking in Cocaine Over 100 Grams
- Possession with Intent to Distribute a Class B Substance (Cocaine and Amphetamines) (Subsequent Offense)
- Possession with Intent to Distribute a Class E Substance (Various Class E Substances) (Subsequent Offense)
NELSON is expected to be arraigned Friday at Woburn District Court.
SHIRLEY NELSON, AGE 44, OF WOBURN was issued a summons to appear in court at a later date and was charged with:
- Possession with Intent to Distribute a Class B Substance (Cocaine)
- Possession with Intent to Distribute a Class E Substance (Various Class E Substances)
Woburn Police and the Southern Middlesex Regional Drug Task Force obtained search warrants for MICHAEL NELSON’S home and vehicle following an investigation into his alleged drug selling activity.
On Thursday morning, the search warrants were executed and MICHAEL NELSON was pulled over on Wyman Street in Woburn by officers. In a search of his vehicle several blue pills, later determined to be fentanyl, were allegedly located and seized.
MICHAEL NELSON was placed under arrest without further incident.
At the NELSONS’ home, officers entered the home with the search warrant and spoke to SHIRLEY NELSON.
In searching their bedroom, officers allegedly located several pills, cocaine and other narcotics and illegally possessed prescription pills, all of which was seized as evidence. Based on the evidence, it was determined that SHIRLEY NELSON would also be charged as part of the case.
Seized during the investigation were a number of narcotics and pills of various doses and sizes:
- Cocaine – Approximately 198.5 grams
- Fentanyl – 130 pills, weighing approximately 15.1 grams
- Amphetamine Dextroamphetamine – 137 pills
- Oxycodone – 25 pills
- Ecstasy – 48 pills
- Adderall – 30 pills
- Lorazepam – 3 pills
- Hydrochlorothiazide – 4 pills
- Suboxone – 1 tablet
- Gabapentin – 8 pills
- Clonazepam – 10 pills
- Prednisone – 4
- Cefuroxime Axetil – 8 pills
- Acetaminophen-Plus – 9 pills
- Human Growth Hormone (HGH) – 50 IU
- Marijuana – 6.7 grams
- Lisinopril – 23 pills
- Catnip Cocktails – 8 bottles
Also seized in the investigation was MICHAEL NELSON’S Chrysler 300 sedan, $4,424 and various drug selling and packaging materials.
“I want to commend the members of our narcotics unit and the Southern Middlesex Regional Drug Task Force for their work on this case in getting a slew of dangerous drugs off of our streets,” Chief Rufo said. “The fentanyl pills were particularly troubling to see, as the suspect was allegedly selling them as oxycodone pills to unsuspecting buyers. Our department will not relent in aggressively pursuing and arresting drug dealers who poison our community.”
These are allegations. All suspects are innocent until proven guilty.