Job Title: Copywriter
JGPR is actively seeking a copywriter in its Georgetown, Massachusetts office.
A Copywriter at JGPR is responsible for supporting various public relations initiatives within the agency. They will create, manage and implement PR campaigns with the goal of enriching our clients’ position within the public eye. JGPR’s clients are primarily public sector agencies and organizations, with an emphasis on public safety, public education and municipal government.
The ideal candidate will be able to successfully build and maintain strong relationships with reporters, editors, television reporters, assignment editors, etc.
This role is writing intensive and is likely ideal for a daily or weekly news reporter seeking to make the transition into public relations. A successful candidate will draw upon their news judgment and writing abilities on a day-to-day basis, while building an understanding of client relations and PR strategy.
We view the copywriter role as a way of transitioning from journalism into public relations, so news reporters and editors are encouraged to apply. However, the job is open anyone with the right qualifications.
The Copywriter’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Writing 4-6 pieces of content per day
- Planning and directing public relations programs designed to create and maintain a favorable public image for the client
- Media relations, story pitching, and notifying news desks of stories/press conferences
- Create informational literature and other forms of communication
- Create marketing and promotional materials, both print and electronic
- Develop new programs, services, and creative solutions/products for our clients
- Writing, copyediting, proofreading and revising communications, including press releases and public safety information
- Designing and launching email marketing campaigns
- Developing marketing communications campaigns
- Writing policies and policy memos for our clients on public relations, public information, public records, and social media
- Creating and distributing press releases, media relations content, case studies, white papers, executive bios, corporate newsletter content, social media content, and speaking proposals
- Identifying, developing and executing communications strategy for key media contacts
- Researching/clipping media coverage for awards consideration and staying informed about industry trends
- Developing fresh story ideas
- Preparing briefing materials
- Attending meetings
- Keeping track of billable client hours
- Actively seek to bring new clients/business opportunities into the company
The Copywriter will also be expected to be available on an on-call basis on weekday evenings and weekends on Monday-Sunday one week per month on a rotating basis.
Skills & Experience:
- 1-2 years experience interviewing, researching and writing for print and online publication.
- Experience writing for/about municipal government, schools and public safety agencies strongly preferred.
- Strong copy-editing skills
- Deep and evolving knowledge of AP style.
- Ability to effectively multitask and manage a diverse set of editorial responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Public Relations, Communications, or a related field preferred.
- Knowledge of web design using WordPress, as well as a working knowledge of Adobe InDesign preferred.
JGPR offers a robust health insurance plan. The employee will also be eligible for JGPR’s Simple IRA retirement plan, with the company matching up to three percent of the employee’s annual salary.
JGPR also pays for employees to speak with a personal financial planner, accountant, or retirement planning specialist of the company’s choosing for up to four hours per year for tax preparation, financial advice or retirement planning. Employees may also receive a health club/fitness class reimbursement of up to $120 per year.
10 paid holidays off, subject to on-call scheduling, plus two weeks of vacation time and additional personal days and sick days.
There are also opportunities to earn bonuses and commissions based on performance and new business brought into the company.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter and writing samples to [email protected].
Public Relations Intern
John Guilfoil Public Relations adds interns to our team in the fall, spring, and summer sessions to assist us and work with our growing number of police, fire, government, schools and hospitality clients and to aid the staff in their roles.
We are a fun, vibrant, extremely fast-paced environment full of breaking news, interesting news campaigns, and the occasional free lunch!
The Public Relations Intern position is an excellent role for someone looking to enter the field of public relations, and for those with an interest in journalism, breaking news, government, politics, criminal justice and public safety. The Public Relations Intern will learn some vital skills needed to successfully maintain numerous public relations campaigns for a wide range of clientele.
The internship positions are unpaid and college credit must be obtained. Interns also must be able to get to our Braintree, Massachusetts office or have a vehicle to access JGPR’S office in Georgetown, Massachusetts, as it is not accessible by public transportation.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Works in conjunction with the Principal Owner and Public Relations Coordinators to write and edit press releases for our family of police and fire clients, government agencies, school departments, corporations, and hospitality businesses. Interacts with public safety and government officials to collect information to craft fluid releases that will be distributed to local, state and national news outlets
- Complete research projects to include new clients, client tracking, media clips, outreach efforts and more
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong writing skills with a working knowledge of Associated Press Style
- Able to work under pressure and on tight deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Attention to detail and discretion
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of WordPress platform a plus
- Graphic design, video editing, audio editing and Adobe CS experience is a major plus!
- Vehicle and driver’s license
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected], and put “Public Relations Intern” in the subject line OR fill out the following form: