Burlington Fire Department Offers Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips

FIREPA_1_001_small

Burlington Fire Department
Chief Steve Yetman
21 Center St.
Burlington, MA 01803

For Immediate Release

Wednesday, Dec. 13, 2017

Contact: John Guilfoil
Phone: 781-791-7627
Email: john@jgpr.net

 

Burlington Fire Department Offers Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips

BURLINGTON – With the cold, winter weather in full effect, Chief Steven Yetman and the Burlington Fire Department recommend that residents follow several carbon monoxide safety tips to prevent tragedies from occurring during the holiday season and beyond.

The odorless, colorless, tasteless, and poisonous gas is produced whenever any fuel is burned, such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood or charcoal.

“It’s important to take proactive steps to avoid falling victim to carbon monoxide poisoning,” Chief Yetman said. “This gas is deadly, and I want to remind everyone to install carbon monoxide detectors and be sure to clear snow away from car and home exhaust pipes.”

Hundreds of people die accidentally every year from CO poisoning caused by malfunctioning or improperly used fuel-burning appliances. It can be especially dangerous during the winter months, as snow often creates drifts that cover furnace and dryer exhaust vents, and blocks car tailpipes, forcing CO back into homes or vehicles.

Other sources of CO include furnaces and water heaters, chimneys, wood stoves, grills, camping stoves, gas ovens and gas snow removal or yard equipment machines.

Exposure to carbon monoxide can produce flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea, dizziness, confusion, fainting, unconsciousness, and in serious cases, can be fatal. If you suspect you have be exposed to CO, get out of the house and call the fire department from a cell phone or a neighbor’s house. If you experience any symptoms associated with CO poisoning, seek medical attention immediately.

Chief Yetman asks that residents follow these safety procedures outlined by the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services:

  • Before the heating season every year, have a qualified service technician inspect your appliances.
  • Check vent pipes, flues and chimneys for leaks or blockages.
  • Always make sure furnace and dryer exhaust vents are clear of snow.
  • Use care when shoveling out vehicles, and be sure the tail pipe and undercarriage are free of snow before turning on the engine.
  • Don’t leave a vehicle running inside a garage, even if the door is open. Fumes will quickly build up inside a home if the two spaces are connected.
  • Never use a charcoal grill, gasoline-powered engines (generators, chain saws, blowers, weed trimmers, mowers, or snow blowers) indoors or near doors or windows. Place grills and generators outside, facing away from doors, windows and vents.
  • Do not use a gas oven to heat your home.
  • Install carbon monoxide alarms on every level of your home, except unfinished basements or attics. Do not place a CO alarm in a garage, furnace room, or near the stove or fireplace.
  • Locate CO alarms near bedrooms so family members will wake up if the alarm goes off at night. Alarms should be kept away from open windows or doors, excessively hot, cold or damp areas and “dead-air spaces,” such as corners of rooms and peaks of ceilings.
  • To ensure that carbon monoxide alarms are functioning properly, they should be replaced every five to seven years according to directions. After a prolonged power outage, back-up batteries should be checked.

###




Tyngsborough Police Offer Hunting Safety Tips After Vehicles Struck by Errant Rounds

TyngsboroughPD2

Tyngsborough Police Department
Chief Richard D. Howe
20 Westford Road
Tyngsborough, MA 01879

For Immediate Release

Wednesday, Dec. 13, 2017

Media Contact: John Guilfoil
Phone: 617-993-0003
Email: john@jgpr.net

Tyngsborough Police Offer Hunting Safety Tips After Vehicles Struck by Errant Rounds

TYNGSBOROUGH — Chief Richard D. Howe and the Tyngsborough Police Department wish to remind hunters to exercise extreme caution and be mindful of state law when hunting in town after two incidents over the weekend.

On Dec. 9, Tyngsborough Police responded to Cannongate Road for a report of vandalism to a motor vehicle, a shattered car window.  On Dec. 11, police returned to that location when the owner of the vehicle and a person she had called to repair the window discovered a shotgun slug lodged inside the frame near the passenger side window.

On Dec. 10, an officer was dispatched to A.S.A.P. Fire and Safety Corporation on Progress Avenue for a report that a company van had been damaged. Upon arrival, the officer observed that both the driver’s side and passenger side rear window’s had been damaged and that it appeared something had entered one window, traveled through the vehicle and exited through the other window. It is believed that the damage was caused by a bullet, however one was not located.

There were no injuries as a result of either of the incidents.

The incidents remain under investigation, but Tyngsborough Police have reason to believe that the damage in both cases was caused by errant shots from hunters’ firearms. Massachusetts Environmental Police are assisting with the investigation.

Tyngsborough Police ask that hunters familiarize themselves with state and local laws regarding hunting. To read the town hunting town bylaw, click here.

“These errant hunting shots are completely unacceptable, and it’s extremely fortunate that nobody was hurt in any of these cases,” Chief Howe said. “Our officers are actively investigating each of these incidents, but I want to remind hunters of the critical obligation they have to be considerate of the safety of others while they are hunting.”

Hunters should observe the following safety protocols at all times:

  •  Always positively identify your target and never shoot in the direction of sounds or movements
  • Maintain a significant distance from roads, buildings and populated areas, and never fire in the direction of those areas
  • Remain aware of what is beyond your target
  • Wear clothing that will help you remain visible to others
  • Don’t touch the trigger until you are ready to shoot
  • Treat all firearms as if they are loaded

Anyone who believes they may have information about these incidents is asked to contact Tyngsborough Police at 978-649-7504.

###

 




Exeter High School Students Excel at Latin Competition

saulogo

New Hampshire School Administrative Unit 16
Christine Rath, Interim Superintendent
30 Linden Street
Exeter, NH 03833

For Immediate Release

Wednesday, Dec. 13, 2017

Media Contact: John Guilfoil
Phone: 617-993-0003
Email: john@jgpr.net

Exeter High School Students Excel at Latin Competition

EXETER — Interim Superintendent Christine Rath is pleased to congratulate the Exeter High School students who put on a strong showing at a statewide Latin quiz competition earlier this month.

On Saturday, Dec. 2, 11 Exeter students traveled to the annual Granite State Certamen at Dover High School, where they earned multiple accolades while competing against fellow Latin students from throughout New Hampshire.

The event is hosted by the New Hampshire Classical Association, which is a group of teachers, professors and lovers of the Classics dedicated to promoting them.

In the intermediate division, Exeter claimed first and third place honors. The first place group included Tyler Silverwood, Noah Robinson, Andrew McElroy and Sawyer Rogers, while Barrett Su, Alayna Chichester, Julia Tennant and Sophia Rubens finished in third place.

Exeter students Loren Brooks and Weston Su placed third in the advanced division. In both divisions, a single tiebreaker question separated the second and third place winners.

“I’m proud of all of our Latin students for the effort and enthusiasm they displayed at this competition,” Superintendent Rath said. “Unique events like this help to pass on a love and passion for the classics on to the next generation.”

###




Georgetown Fire Department Responds to Early Morning House Fire

Georgetown-MA-Alarm-Installation

Georgetown Fire Department
Fred A. Mitchell Jr., Fire Chief
47 Central Street
Georgetown, MA 01833

For Immediate Release

Tuesday, Dec. 12, 2017

Contact: John Guilfoil
Phone: 617-993-0003
Email: john@jgpr.net

Georgetown Fire Department Responds to Early Morning House Fire

GEORGETOWN — Chief Fred A. Mitchell Jr. reports that the Georgetown Fire Department extinguished a fire at a residence on Hampshire Lane early this morning. 

At 5:34 a.m., Georgetown firefighters were dispatched to a home on Hampshire Lane for a report of smoke inside the residence. Upon arrival, firefighters observed that a fire was burning inside one of the home’s walls and worked quickly to extinguish the flames. 

The Rowley, Groveland and Boxford Fire Departments responded to a call for mutual aid, and the West Newbury Fire Department stood by for station coverage during the incident. Firefighters extinguished the fire within 20 minutes of arriving on scene, but remained at the home until approximately 8 a.m. to ensure that there was no further danger. 

The fire is believed to have extended into the wall from an exterior fireplace. The residents were home when the fire began and were alerted to it when their smoke detectors were activated.

No injuries were reported as a result of this incident.

###