HINGHAM — The Hingham Health Department wants to encourage residents to develop an emergency plan for themselves and their families.
Being prepared is the best way to mitigate the impacts of emergencies like natural disasters and other hazards. Families can plan ahead by making sure the entire family is aware of the plan and knows the safest spot in the home to shelter in place during an emergency.
Having a supply kit is an important part of planning ahead. A kit should be kept up-to-date and include items like:
- First Aid Kits
- Personal Documents
- Three days’ worth of food and water for each member of the family
- Baby Formula
A complete list of recommended safety supplies can be found at mass.gov. Each family should be mindful of their unique needs.
It is also important to have a communication plan in place prior to an emergency, as cell phone service may be interrupted. Be sure to have a list of emergency numbers available in case you or a family member needs help.
Hingham residents should take note of the following contact numbers for local resources:
- Emergencies- 911
- Emergency Management General Information- 781-749-2424
- Fire Department Business Line- 781-741-1480
- Police Department Business Line- 781-749-1212
- Hingham Municipal Light Plant- 781-749-0134
- Weir River Water System- 781-740-6695
- Hingham Department of Public Works- 781-741-1430
Additional information can be found at www.hingham-ma.gov.