WEST NEWBURY — Chief Michael Dwyer and Superintendent Justin Bartholomew report that the West Newbury Fire Department responded to a gas leak at Pentucket Regional Middle High School on Wednesday morning.
On Wednesday, Jan. 11, at approximately 8:50 a.m., the West Newbury Fire Department, with support from West Newbury Police, Groveland Police and Groveland Fire, responded to an active gas leak at the high school and middle school that was caused when a contractor working on the school’s new athletic fields accidentally struck a gas line.
West Newbury Fire Department, Police and mutual aid partners evacuated several homes near the site of the leak on Main Street as a precaution while the leak was active.
Students at the high school and middle school were placed in a secure hold in their classrooms to ensure they were all accounted for and that the school’s hallways remained empty. Classroom learning continued throughout the secure hold. There were no evacuations at the high school or middle school.
The contractor that struck the gas line was able to shut down gas flowing through the line, and National Grid arrived on scene a short time later. The secure hold at the high school was lifted and residents were able to return to their homes at about 9:15 a.m.
Firefighters, police and a school resource officer remained on scene to ensure there were no further issues.
“We are grateful to our mutual aid partners in Groveland for their support,” said Chief Dwyer. “A quick and professional response to this incident by first responders, schools, the contractor involved, and National Grid helped ensure there were no more serious issues this morning.”