COHASSET — Chief John Dockray reports that the Cohasset Fire Department responded to a home on Joy Place for a reported microwave fire earlier this morning.
At approximately 8:45 a.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 23, the South Shore Regional Communications Center received a 911 call from a resident reporting a microwave fire at their home at 45 Joy Place.
The resident reported seeing flames and hearing popping sounds coming from the microwave. The resident was advised to evacuate the home prior to first responders’ arrival.
Cohasset Engine 1, units from the Cohasset Police Department and an engine from Hull Fire were dispatched to the scene. An engine company from Scituate Fire covered the Cohasset Fire Headquarters while units were working at the scene.
A Cohasset Police unit arrived on scene prior to the fire department’s arrival and was able to suppress the fire in the microwave with a fire extinguisher.
Cohasset Engine 1 arrived on scene shortly after and stretched an attack line into the kitchen to extinguish the remaining fire, which had extended into the kitchen cabinets around the microwave unit.
Firefighters remained on scene for approximately an hour and a half overhauling the kitchen, checking for any further extension of the fire and ventilating the house.
There were no reported injuries. Chief Dockray estimated that the fire caused $100,000 in damages. The resident of the home will be staying with family until further notice.
The cause of the fire is under investigation by the Cohasset Fire Department.