BENNINGTON – Superintendent Kimberly Rizzo Saunders and Principal Beth Gibney are pleased to share that Pierce Elementary School hosted a successful Dash for a Playground 5k last weekend.
The Dash for a Playground 5k took place in Bennington on Saturday, Oct. 29, with over 100 people taking part by running, walking, or cheering on the participants.
Fifty-six participants signed up for the full course, both children and adults, while 15 children ran the kids dash around the playground.
The event raised nearly $2,000 for the Pierce PTO’s Playground Fund, which will help to purchase a new playground for the school. The school plans to make the 5k an annual event to benefit other initiatives at Pierce.
The top finishers in the kids dash were:
- Ethan Parisi, age 9, placed first
- Wren Lawler, age 5, placed second
- Brynn H., age 8, placed third
The full course race was divided into a walking category and a running category.
The top finishers in the full course walking category were:
- Cheryl Jesse placed first
- Jenn Sutton placed second
- Lisa Riley placed third
- John McNair placed first.
- Tom Morris placed second.
- Clayton Couch placed third.
The top finishers in the full course running category were:
- Sarah Reardon placed first.
- High School Principl Heather McKillop placed second.
- Director of Learning Recovery Amy Janoch placed third.
- Jesse Edwards placed first.
- Sean Radcliffe placed second.
- Garret Cassidy placed third.
The District would like to thank its sponsors, Bellows-Nichols Insurance, Edmunds Ace Hardware, Dunkin Donuts Antrim, Shaw’s Hillsboro, Bennington Fire, and Blueberry Hill Designs for making the event possible. The Pierce PTO and Bernd Foecking were instrumental in organizing the event.