Those Enrolled in Avon CEA Not Impacted by Recent National Grid Rate Increase
AVON – Town Administrator Gregory Enos and the Town of Avon would like to clarify for residents details regarding the Town’s Community Electricity Aggregation (CEA) program.
Avon residents and businesses enrolled in Avon CEA will not be impacted by the rate hike recently announced by National Grid. Avon, which is under contract with electricity supplier Dynegy, offers electricity program rates that are fixed and will not change through December 2024. The vast majority of Avon households participate in the Avon CEA program.
As was reported last week, National Grid announced that as of Nov. 1, 2022, the default Residential Basic Service Fixed supply rate will be $0.33891/kWh, which is significantly higher than the standard Avon supply rate of $0.10202/kWh. National Grid’s rates change twice a year for residential and small business customers on May 1 and Nov. 1, but Avon CEA rates are fixed for the duration of the municipality’s contract, which expires in December 2024.
Avon residents and businesses can confirm that they are enrolled in Avon Community Electricity Aggregation by looking at the Supply Services Section of a recent National Grid electric bill. If it says “Supplier: Dynegy – Avon” then that account is enrolled. If it says something else, such as Basic Service Fixed or names a supplier other than Dynegy, then that account is not enrolled.
Avon Community Electricity Aggregation offers contract rate options that include the following:
- Avon Basic: $0.10202/kWh
- Avon 100% Green: $0.14095/kWh
The contract rates above are available to any residential and small business customer that has never participated in the program.
The following customers may be offered a market rate, determined by the supplier:
- Residential and small businesses customers that have previously opted-out of the program and are seeking to re-join
- Any large business customers
Residents and businesses can enroll in Avon Community Electricity Aggregation or switch rate options at any time online at Avon-CEA.com or by calling 866-225-5676. It can take one to two billing cycles for the supplier change to appear on the National Grid bill.
Because National Grid Basic Service rates are not known past April 2023 for residential and small business customers or October 2022 for large business customers, future savings for the Avon Community Electricity Aggregation cannot be guaranteed.
Question on the Avon CEA program
I have never participated in the program. Can I still join?
- Yes, go to Avon-CEA.com, then select SIGN-UP or ENROLL. Make sure to have your National Grid bill available to provide account details.
- If you are a residential or small business customer, you will receive the same contract rate as shown on the website.
- If you are a large business customer, the supplier may offer you a market rate that you can either choose to accept or decline.
I opted out of the program previously. Can I still join?
- Anyone who previously opted out of the program, can re-join, but is not guaranteed to get one of the original contract rates. The supplier may offer you a market rate that you can either choose to accept or decline.
I have received phone calls, and people coming to my door asking if I want to join the town program. Are these calls and/or door to door visits associated with the program?
- No, no one associated with the program will ever proactively call you or visit your home.
- Any communication regarding this program will be accompanied by the Town seal.
- Keep your account information private; do not share your account information with others.