The City of Newburyport, in collaboration with the Greater Newburyport Chamber of Commerce & Industry and 92.5 the River, invites the community to attend the 20th Annual Waterfront Music Festival on Saturday, July 23.
The family-friendly event will be held from 12-6 p.m. at Waterfront Promenade Park, 22 Merrimac St., and features a day of outdoor music and fun. The City has worked with its Public Safety, Health, Parking, and Public Services departments among others to implement a plan that will cause minimal disruption during the Festival and make the day safe and enjoyable for all.
- The City will close Market Square along Merrimac Street at 9 a.m., with barricades from State Street to Green Street.
- Traffic will be allowed up (southbound) State Street and down (northbound) Green Street.
- Traffic coming into the City eastbound will be directed up Market Street. Traffic turning left from Green Street will be directed west on Merrimac Street and may use Winter Street or Kent Street.
- Exit ramps off Route 1 will be closed, both from the southbound travel lane from the Gillis Bridge and also the northbound travel lane coming onto Summer Street.
- Traffic patterns will return to normal after 7 p.m.
Festival attendees are encouraged to rideshare/carpool to the event, use ride hailing services (Uber/Lyft/Taxi), take alternative transportation to the event, and utilize the free shuttle service to/from satellite parking.
- A very limited number of paid on-site parking spots will be available at the NRA East and NRA West parking lots, located directly adjacent to Market Landing Park.
- Downtown Newburyport municipal parking will be available in the parking garage on Titcomb Street and in the Waterfront Trust lot and the lots at Prince Place, Hales Court, Green Street and State Street.
- Special event parking is $25 for all these lots and the parking garage.
- A list and map of parking locations can be found here: https://www.cityofnewburyport.com/city-clerk/files/2018-2019-paid-parking-information
A free shuttle, courtesy of 92.5 the River, will run approximately every 20 minutes from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. The shuttles will provide pickup at five nearby parking lots, at which attendees will be able to park for free, except at the MBTA lot which is $2. The lots are:
- Mersen, 374 Merrimac St.
- Graf Skating Rink, 28 Low St.
- Rupert A. Nock Middle School, 70 Low St.
- Mark Richey Woodworking, 40 Parker St.
- Newburyport MBTA, 25 Boston Way
For more information on the shuttles, visit the River’s website here: https://theriverboston.com/attend/riverfest/getting-there/
- Personal property such as chairs, coolers, and blankets may not be placed on the event grounds until 9 a.m. Saturday. All property before that will be removed. Property still on the event grounds after 7 p.m. will be removed.
- High temperatures are expected, and so attendees are asked to follow all guidance regarding heat and sun safety.
- Portable toilets will be available near the event grounds for public use.