READING — Police Chief David Clark and Fire Chief Gregory Burns would like to provide an update on the situation from earlier today involving the evacuation of approximately 66 senior residents from a senior living facility in town.
On Monday, June 27, at approximately 11:50 a.m., Reading Police and Fire Departments received a report that a pipe had burst sending water cascading into an electrical box at The Residence at Pearl Street, an assisted living and memory care community at 75 Pearl St.
As of 9:15 p.m. Monday evening, police and fire crews had cleared the facility and all residents from that wing of the facility have been relocated.
“I commend the quick work by the members of Reading Police and Reading Fire in responding to this incident, ensuring no one was hurt as a result,” Chief Clark said.
The evacuation was conducted methodically to ensure the continued safety of residents. There was no ongoing danger to residents of the building during the response, and no injuries resulted from the incident.
“We would like to thank the staff at The Residence at Pearl Street for their full cooperation during this response,” Chief Burns said, “as well as the Reading Health Department for their assistance.”