HINGHAM — The Town of Hingham would like to share with the public important information on the Annual Town Meeting, which is scheduled to be held this coming weekend.
Town Meeting will take place Saturday, April 30, beginning at 2 p.m. It will be held outdoors at Hingham High School, 17 Union St. Doors will open at 12:30 p.m.
Town Meeting is an opportunity for residents to participate in their community’s legislative process. The Town Meeting Warrant is available on the Town website and was mailed to each Hingham household last weekend. There will be extra copies available at Town Meeting, and a limited number of large-print warrants will also be available at the meeting.
“Open Town Meeting vests Hingham’s citizens with voice and vote in deciding matters of common concern,” Moderator Michael Puzo said. “Self-governance is a profound privilege and must never be taken for granted. Residents are urged to take part in this year’s meeting.”
Attendees can park in three places onsite at the High School, including the front, back, and far parking lots. There will also be overflow parking and shuttle buses to and from the South Shore Baptist Church at 578 Main St.
Chairs will be set up on the field spaced three feet apart. They will be centered closer to the bleachers where the Moderator will lead the meeting to improve attendee sightlines. Attendees are welcome to wear face coverings, but they are not required. Hand sanitizing stations will be available throughout the venue.
Those planning on attending are asked to dress appropriately for the weather, given that the meeting will be held outdoors.
For residents with questions about Town Meeting, helpful procedural information can be found on page 3 of the Warrant. The “Citizen’s Guide to Town Meeting” published by the State also has helpful information.
There will be several accessibility measures taken for the meeting. These include:
- Parking and a drop-off location for people with mobility issues will be located near Entrance B.
- The Commission on Disabilities (COD) will have a table near Entrance B to assist Town Meeting attendees with accessibility needs. A wheelchair will be available.
- Certain aisle seats will be reserved for those with wheelchairs, walkers or for people who need a little extra space/support.
- A limited number of assisted listening devices and large-format warrant books will be available.
- Opry, the Hingham Police Department’s comfort dog, will be available to assist near the COD table.
In the case of inclement weather, rain dates will be Sunday, May 1, at 2 p.m. outdoors at Hingham High School and Monday, May 9, at 7 p.m. indoors at Hingham High School.