BOURNE — The Bourne High School Drama Club is proud to announce that the cast and crew of “Silent Sky” was named one of the winning schools at the recent regional round of the Massachusetts Educational Theater Guild’s High School Drama Festival.
The regional round was the culmination of this year’s festival, which included a preliminary round late last month. There was no state finals this year, as there typically has been in the past.
The regional round performance took place at Franklin High School on Saturday, April 2. BHS Drama performed along with several other schools, including Brockton High School, The Academy of Notre Dame (Tyngsboro), Hingham High School, Attleboro High School and Franklin High School.
“The cast and crew worked so hard this year to bring ‘Silent Sky’ to the stage, and it was great to see them rewarded for all of their efforts,” said Director Tristan Burke. “The Massachusetts High School Drama Festival is a highly competitive event that brings together the very best of drama talent from across the state, and to be selected as one of the top clubs is very special and the students should be incredibly proud of what they accomplished.”
Students who were honored at this year’s regional round included:
- Excellence in Acting: Bella Palumbo
- Excellence in Acting: Krista Nee
- Excellence in Acting: Murphy O’Shea
- Technical Excellence in Original Music Composition: Aspen Langley
- Technical Excellence in Sound Design: Zoey Cardinal
- Technical Excellence in Properties Design: Madie Sexton, Dylan Dupuis, Cooper White, Michael Russo, Grace Russell, Krista Nee, Jaelyn Dohring
The Massachusetts High School Drama Festival is a competitive program that includes 112 one-act plays produced by member high schools. The Massachusetts Educational Theatre Guild made changes to the festival format due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic this year. The preliminary round was held the weekend of March 19 and 20, and schools that advanced from that round competed in the regional round at various sites across the state. A total of 14 regional winners were chosen.
As part of the festival, each submission must be under 40 minutes in length and the entirety of the scenery for the production must be assembled by students in under five minutes.
This was Burke’s first year directing the Bourne High School Drama Club’s METG production. The performance built upon many years of success for the club both on the stage and behind the scenes.
“We have a longstanding tradition of excellence in our performing arts programs at BHS, and it’s clear that our drama club will continue to thrive under Tristan’s guidance and leadership,” BHS Principal Amy Cetner said. “We were thrilled to see this dedicated and talented group have so much success, including the cast on stage and the crew backstage. While the awards and accolades are special, so too is seeing these students work so hard together and show off their creativity and passion.”
Cast and Crew
The cast of Bourne High School Drama’s production of “Silent Sky” includes:
- Henrietta: Bella Palumbo
- Peter: Landry O’Shea
- Margaret: Krista Nee
- Annie: Quinn Hawkes
- Williamina: Murphy O’Shea
Crew members include:
- Anne Rapoza: Stage Manager, Scenic Construction
- Kendra Mahoney: Scenic Construction/Design, Costumes
- Jaelyn Dohring: Assistant Stage Manager, Props
- Moose Hoagland: Lighting Designer
- Riley Higgins: Lighting Crew
- Caroline Lane: Lighting Crew
- Kyleigh Gomes: Lighting Crew
- Patrick Kelley: Scenic Construction/Design
- Connor Ryan: Scenic Construction/Design
- Grant Savage: Scenic Construction/Design
- Madie Sexton: Props, Scenic Construction/Design, Scenic Manipulation
- Grace Russell: Props, Scenic Construction/Design, Scenic Manipulation
- Scott LaFleur: Scenic Construction/Design Scenic Manipulation
- Logan Broadway: Costume Design, Scenic Construction/Design
- Michael Russo: Scenic Construction/Design, Scenic Manipulation, Props
- Dylan Dupuis: Props, Scenic Construction/Design
- Lyvia Migliaccio: Scenic Manipulation
- Jack Martin: Scenic Manipulation
- Cooper White: Props
- Krista Nee: Props
- Rhiannon Bearce: Hair and Make-up
- Gemma Gray: Hair and Make-up
- Elizabeth Black: Costume Design
- Noah Baker: Costume Design
- Sonja Poley: Costume Design
- Aspen Langley: Music Composition
- Zoey Cardinal: Sound Design
- Silas Rauch: Telescope Construction
- Lucas Koosa: Telescope Construction
- Zachary Pike: Telescope Construction
The show is directed by Tristan Burke, and the technical director is Richard Archer.
Follow the Bourne High School Drama Club on Instagram here.