On Friday, March 25, at approximately 11 a.m., West Newbury Public Safety Dispatch received a 911 call from a homeowner who reported a fire alarm was sounding and that there was an odor of smoke in a home at 14 Bachelor St.
The Newburyport Fire Department responded as mutual aid to the initial alarm, as did Amesbury Fire Chief Ken Berkenbush.
Crews arrived to find a fire in the area of an electrical panel that services a dryer. Crews cut power to the home, and the fire was contained to the area around the dryer. Residents were able to return to their home once the fire was out.
The cause of the fire was determined to be electrical. There were no reported injuries.
The West Newbury Police Department and Atlantic Ambulance also responded to provide support.
“Working smoke alarms and an alert homeowner who called us quickly helped us ensure this fire was contained to the area where it originated.” said Chief Dwyer. “I want to thank our mutual aid partners for their assistance today, and for their immediate and dependable support with incidents of all sizes.”