COHASSET — The Cohasset Health Department and the Board of Public Health would like to remind residents that the region is in the midst of a dramatic surge in COVID-19 cases. In Cohasset, case counts have increased significantly as compared to October, and these cases are continuing to trend upward.
Further, the number of recent cases is likely underestimated as most reported numbers only include confirmed cases and do not include probable cases identified by antigen tests or home test kits.
In the midst of this surge, the Cohasset Health Department and the Board of Public Health wish to remind everyone of the public health order that was made effective on Aug. 23, 2021, which is still in effect, and which states the following:
- All persons over the age of two (2), who are not vaccinated, including visitors and employees, must wear a facial mask covering his or her nose and mouth inside all municipal buildings in the Town of Cohasset.
- The Board also recommends that all individuals, irrespective of vaccination status, wear a mask covering the nose and mouth in all indoor public buildings, including private businesses open to the public, except for children under two (2) years old and those with medical conditions.
It is notable that the Town of Cohasset has achieved vaccination of a very high percentage of eligible people, upwards of 95% for residents ages 12 and over. It is clear that masking and vaccination are the best methods for reducing your risk of infection, spreading infection, and reducing the likelihood of serious illness resulting from any infections that might occur.
Nonetheless, the Board of Public Health reiterates its strong recommendation that all people, irrespective of vaccination status:
- Wear masks in indoor settings
- Observe social distancing
- Stay home when sick
- Follow isolation and quarantine guidance if you have been identified as a positive case or close contact
The Health Department notes that the Cohasset High School has received approval from the State for a masking-optional environment for vaccinated students and staff. The mask-optional environment in the high school is in compliance with the policy set by the State Department of Public Health and Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE).
The vaccination numbers in the high school for students and staff are far greater than the required 80%. However, consistent with the recommendations in the August Public Health Order, the Health Department strongly recommends that all students and staff opt to wear face coverings through the month of January.
Any resident with questions or comments regarding the public health order, safety protocols or anything else relating to COVID-19 can contact the Town of Cohasset at 781-383-4100. To view the Town’s COVID-19 news portal, click here.