SUDBURY – Goodnow Library and Director Esmé Green invite the Sudbury community to its Halloween Fest Open House at the end of the month.
The Open House will take place on Saturday, Oct. 30, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. It will feature a scavenger hunt, a scarecrow contest, crafts, and cider and cider donuts. The Open House also will serve as the debut of the new “Library of Things.”
Goodnow patrons will be able to borrow fun and non-traditional items, much like books or videos. Items include a metal detector, a pressure washer, a ghost meter, bocce balls, a Nintendo Switch, and more.
“We hope to provide access to items beyond just books. Patrons can try new things, have fun adventures, and gain new experiences,” said Head of Reference Services Joanne Lee, who developed the Things collection. “By borrowing and reusing, it also helps to reduce consumption and waste, and creates a more sustainable environment.”
Attendees are highly encouraged to wear costumes.
“We are very excited to be able to reconnect with the community now that we are fully reopened. We’re hoping for a fun event, and hope that everyone dresses in the Halloween spirit,” Director Green said. “Thank you to the Sudbury Family Network and the Goodnow Library Foundation, who are generously co-sponsoring the Open House.”
Anyone with questions about the Open House or Library of Things may email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scarecrow Contest rules
- The entry form must be completed and given to the Children’s Department when the scarecrow is submitted.
- One submission per person. Entries may be submitted as a family, an individual, a group, or a business, but only one submission.
- Scarecrows will be displayed outside so they must be able to withstand the weather.
- All submissions must be appropriate for all audiences to view (at the discretion of the library).
- All entries must be delivered to the Children’s Department during Library open hours, from Oct. 1-29.
- All entries will be on display outside at our Halloween Fest on Oct. 30 and voted on. If a scarecrow has deteriorated to the point of falling apart the Library will contact the participant to either fix the submission or remove it.
- The People’s Choice Award winner will be notified Friday, Nov. 5, and announced on social media.
- All entries must be picked up during Library open hours from Nov. 1-7. Any scarecrow not picked up by Nov. 7 becomes the property of the Library.