WHITMAN — Chief Timothy Clancy reports that the Whitman Fire Department responded to a house fire yesterday as they were responding to an unrelated call in the area.
At approximately 4:50 p.m. Wednesday, Whitman Fire responded to investigate a report of an unauthorized burning in the area of Old Coach Road and Washington Street. Upon arrival, firefighters found a party with an unauthorized fire at a Washington Street property. The party was advised to extinguish the fire.
As units were clearing the scene they saw heavy smoke back up on the other side of the street. Fire apparatus relocated and found bushes burning in front of the house at 101 Washington St. The fire was found in the mulch and bushes, and had extended to the front of the house.
The fire was quickly extinguished by Whitman Fire personnel.
A preliminary investigation found that the fire started in a mulch bed on the property and then quickly spread to the bushes and exterior of the house.
The damage to the house is estimated at approximately $20,000.
Fire Prevention Tips
The Whitman Fire Department reminds all residents to be safe and use proper precautions when burning outdoors. They would like to share the following safety tips, courtesy Mass.gov.
- An adult should always be present during open burning and children and pets should be kept at a safe distance.
- Use paper and kindling to start a fire and add progressively larger pieces of wood. Parts of a leftover Christmas tree also may be used.
- Never use gasoline, kerosene or any other flammable liquid to start a fire. The risk of personal injury in these cases is very high.
- Burn one small pile at a time and slowly add to it. This will help keep the fire from getting out of control.
- Select a location away from utility lines.
- Keep a hose or water supply nearby, as well as shovels or rakes to control the fire.
- Do not leave hot coals smoldering or unattended.