CANTON — Deputy Chief Scott Johnson reports that the Canton Fire Department responded to a gas leak Wednesday afternoon.
At approximately 12:50 p.m., Canton Fire received a call reporting that a contractor had dug up a gas line going to a two-family house located at 12 Traverse St.
Upon firefighters’ arrival, it was found that gas was leaking into the basement of the house. Eversource responded to turn off the gas and firefighters worked to ventilate the house to prevent an explosive environment. Crews continued venting until the gas reading inside was down to zero.
No one was in the home at the time. Next door neighbors were temporarily evacuated as a precaution. No injuries were reported and there was no damage to the home.
Firefighters cleared the scene just before 2 p.m. Eversource remained on scene to conduct repairs.
Traverse Street, Centre Street and a portion of Curtis Road that connects to Traverse Street were closed while the scene was active. The roads have since reopened.