GEORGETOWN – Acting Chief Chuck Savage reports the Georgetown Fire Department responded to an attic fire on Tuesday afternoon that is believed to have been caused by a lightning strike, and led the homeowner to safety.
About 4:11 p.m. on Tuesday, June 8, the Georgetown Fire Department responded to a report of smoke showing from the roof of a two-story home at 69 Lakeshore Drive. Upon arrival, first responders from Engine 2 noticed smoke coming out of the ridgeline of the roof. Crews assisted the homeowner, who was on the second floor, with escaping the home.
Crews from Ladder 1, Engine 1 and Engine 4 arrived to assist. Firefighters quickly attacked the blaze, opening the attic entrance to find the entire attic and roof joists on fire. Crews opened the roof for ventilation, then advanced a hose line inside to quickly douse the fire.
The Newbury, Rowley, and Groveland Fire Departments provided mutual aid at the scene. Fire crews cleared the area about two hours after the initial call.
No one was injured. Firefighters were able to locate a resident’s cat, who was found unharmed inside the home.
Fire damage was confined to the attic area. The second floor of the home sustained water damage. The home is not deemed habitable, and power has been shut off. Residents have made other living arrangements.
“Firefighters did an extraordinary job putting out this fire quickly under very trying conditions, considering the extreme heat,” Acting Chief Savage said. “Thank you to our mutual aid partners, whose assistance was invaluable. And thank you to Roger Baker from Rehab 5, who provided much-needed hydration.”
The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental. A preliminary investigation by the Georgetown Fire Department has determined the house had been struck by lightning during a brief and intense storm. The State Fire Marshall’s Office was consulted but no further investigation was deemed necessary.