RAYNHAM — Chief Bryan LaCivita reports that the Raynham Fire Department extinguished a grease fire at a home on Wilbur Street Thursday night, April 1.
At approximately 6:30 p.m., Raynham Fire responded to 46 Wilbur St. for a report of a grease fire in the kitchen area of the single-story home.
Upon arrival, Deputy Fire Chief Barrett Johnson found heavy smoke coming from the front door of the home. Engine 3 responded to the scene as well.
All occupants of the home had exited the house safely before firefighters arrived. Lt. William Trautman and Group 3 quickly knocked down the fire containing it to the kitchen. No injuries were reported. The scene was cleared by 8 p.m.
The Raynham Police Department also responded to the scene to provide assistance.
The on-scene investigation indicates that the fire began as a grease fire on the stove.
“It’s not a rare occasion for firefighters to respond to cooking fires at residents’ homes,” Chief LaCivita said. “Cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries. I would like to thank the responding firefighters for their work in quickly extinguishing the flames before they could spread to the rest of the home.”
Chief LaCivita offers the following safety tips provided by the National Fire Protection Association to help residents prevent cooking fires from occurring:
- Stand by your pan when cooking. Do not leave food, grease or oils cooking on the stove unattended.
- Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
- Never discharge a portable fire extinguisher into a grease fire. Put a lid on a grease fire to smother it, then turn off the heat. Baking soda will also work.
- For fires inside an oven or microwave, keep the door closed, turn off the appliance, and call the fire department.
- If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, and use a timer to remind yourself that you’re cooking.
- Remain in the home while using the stove or oven. If you have to leave, turn the appliance off.
- Keep flammable objects such as potholders, towels, paper, or plastic bags away from heating elements.
- In the event of a fire, leave the building immediately and call 911. All fires and burns, regardless of size, should be reported to the fire department.
For more fire safety information and tips visit the NFPA website here.