EASTON — Chief Kevin Partridge reports that the Easton Fire Department responded to a fire at a single-family home on Tuesday.
At approximately 4:12 p.m., on Tuesday, March 23, Easton Fire was dispatched to 1 Pine Lane for a report of a fire. Capt. John Dzialo was first to arrive at 4:16 p.m. and discovered flames going up the side of the house, extending into the house.
Firefighters from Engine 11, Engine 12 and Ladder 11 conducted an aggressive attack and were able to extinguish the fire before it could spread to the main part of the house.
No one was home at the time. When the owners returned, investigators determined that ashes from brush that had been burned several days earlier had been placed in a plastic trash barrel. The ashes were still hot enough to cause a fire in the barrel, which extended and caught the house on fire.
“Although people may assume a fire is out and ashes are cool always, always wet them down and never put them in a paper bag or plastic barrel,” Chief Partridge said.
Firefighters cleared the scene at 4:34 p.m. Damage to the home is estimated at $30,000.
The Stoughton Fire Department and Sharon Fire Department offered mutual aid at the scene. The West Bridgewater Fire Department provided station coverage.