SOMERSET — Chief George McNeil is pleased to announce that the Somerset Police Department is seeking candidates to register for the upcoming 2021 entry exam.
The Somerset Police Department is actively seeking qualified applicants who would like to serve their community as a reserve officer. The department is looking to add at least 10 reserve officers from the 2021 newly established candidate list. From this pool of candidates, at least two will be made full time.
The exam measures how candidates handle stress and responsibility, their emotional skills and work attitudes, their interpersonal skills, and their level of basic education in reading, writing and math.
The available exam sessions will be as follows:
- Wednesday, April 28 at 9:30 a.m.
- Thursday, April 29 at 9:30 a.m.
- Thursday, April 29 at 2:30 p.m.
- Friday, April 30 at 2:30 p.m.
As part of a commitment to keeping everyone healthy during the pandemic, the Somerset Police Department has opted to host the exam via the Police Exam Solutions (PES) @Home Testing process.
Registration is open until midnight on Monday, April 19. The exam fee is $140 and is non-refundable. Registrants will receive an invite to book their test session one week prior to the first exam date. Session availability is first come, first served and all bookings must be made within 72 hours before the first exam session. To register, click here.
In order to be eligible for a position, all candidates must be able to meet the following minimum requirements:
- Be a United States Citizen;
- Be at least 21 years of age at the time of the written examination;
- Have obtained an associates degree or higher, or be an honorably discharged Veteran enrolled in a college Criminal Justice program;
- Be a non-smoker;
- Not be a convicted felon, or have any equivalent convictions that would be a felony in Massachusetts;
- Submit to an in-depth background investigation;
- Sign a consent form allowing the department to obtain records relating to your criminal, credit, employment, military, or financial history;
- Be willing to perform shift work, including weekends, holidays and overtime on an emergency basis;
- Possess a valid Massachusetts drivers license, or obtain one with six months of appointment;
- Have the ability to obtain a Massachusetts Class A License to carry a firearm;
- Have the ability to physically and mentally perform the essential functions of a police officer consistent with the requirements of the Americans’ with Disabilities Act (ADA);
- Have the ability to pass the Massachusetts Criminal Justice Training Academy in order to achieve basic certification as a Police Officer;
- Have a strong character background; and
- Be willing and able to meet the duties and obligations of a Somerset Police Officer.
The @Home Testing process requires the following hardware:
- A mobile smartphone or tablet. Your mobile device will be used to connect to videoconferencing software so that IOS (PES’s proctoring firm), can monitor you while you take the examination. Your device must meet the following requirements: iPhone 5 or later running iOS11-iOS13, iPad 3rd gen or later running iOS11-iOS13 or an Android device running Android OS5 (Lollipop)-Android 10.
- A desktop or laptop PC running Windows 10 or later. You will take the exam on your PC via IOS’ Testing Application. Please note that the testing software is not compatible with Macs or Chromebooks.
A reliable internet connection on each device. Your mobile device and PC must be connected to the internet at all times. Your mobile device should have a 3G or WiFi connection. If you lose your internet connection at any time, you will be locked out of the examination.
Additional information about the @Home Testing process and requirements for candidates can be found here. Questions about registration or the exam facilitation can be sent to PES at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates must receive a 70% or above to pass the exam. A complete list of passing, eligible candidates will be sent to the department within two weeks of the exam, after which the department will contact candidates to move forward with the application process.