GEORGETOWN — Chief Fred Mitchell reports the Georgetown Fire Department responded to a chimney fire that spread at a home late Monday night.
About 11 p.m., Monday, the Georgetown Fire Department responded to a home at 31 Nelson St. for a reported chimney fire. The homeowners reportedly checked their wood stove before going to bed and noticed a small fire outside their home. Upon arrival, first responders noticed flames showing outside the home next to the chimney.
The fire extended up both the interior and exterior of the home, and was deemed under control shortly after midnight. The nor’easter posed some challenges for firefighters. The home sits back from the road, and crews fought the fire with several inches of snow on the ground and through gusty winds.
No injuries were reported. The home is currently uninhabitable. The Groveland and Rowley Fire Departments provided station coverage for Georgetown Fire. The scene was cleared just before 12:30 a.m.
The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental.