NORTH READING– Police Chief Michael Murphy and Fire Chief Don Stats wish to remind residents and business owners to properly display street numbers on their property to help ensure a timely response in case of an emergency.
“Being able to clearly see street numbers, day or night, can save precious seconds during an emergency,” Chief Stats said. “We strongly encourage residents and businesses owners to check to see if theirs are visible on their home or business, or on a post or mailbox visible from the street if you have not already.”
“In order to ensure a timely response during an emergency, it’s important that street numbers are visible both day and night on all homes and businesses,” Chief Murphy said. “The following guidelines are a great way to guarantee that first responders can do their jobs efficiently and effectively, and that no time is wasted in an emergency.”
The North Reading Police and Fire Departments would like to share the following recommendations regarding the proper display of house numbers:
- All houses, businesses and other buildings should clearly display street identification numbers, which should be visible and legible from the street in order to assist in emergency response efforts.
- In the event that a house, business or principal building is not visible from the street, the number should be displayed on a post or mailbox in a way that is visible from the street.
- The numbers should be at least 3 inches tall.
In order to make street numbers more easily visible, the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services recommends the following:
- Place numbers under lighting and with a contrasting background so they will be visible at night.
- If your driveway is long, post your house number on both sides of a mailbox or sign pole at the end of the driveway near the road.
- Be sure to trim trees and bushes that could be blocking street numbers.
Residents who have questions or concerns about the visibility of house or business street numbers should contact the North Reading Fire Department at 978-664-3112 or the North Reading Police Department at 978-664-3131.