TYNGSBOROUGH — Superintendent Jill Davis and Student Activities Coordinator Sharon Cornellier are pleased to announce that Greater Lowell Tech will be hosting a two-week, virtual homecoming celebration this year.
The 2020 Homecoming Celebration began on Monday, Nov. 2 and will run through Saturday, Nov. 14. This year’s event will be held virtually due to the COVID-19 pandemic and GLTHS being in a fully remote learning model.
To watch a video about this year’s Homecoming Celebration, click here.
“Though this year’s celebration will look different from those of previous years, we are thrilled to celebrate with students over the course of the next two weeks,” Superintendent Davis reported. “Our Student Activities Coordinator, Sharon Cornellier, did an incredible job coming up with engaging, interactive activities for our students to safely participate from their homes and I am very excited to see all the photos that show our school spirit continues to be Gryphon Strong.”
Students will be able to dress up and participate in the following theme days over the next two weeks:
- Wednesday, Nov. 4 will be Wicked Wednesday, where students can dress up as their favorite super villain.
- Thursday, Nov. 4 will be Throwback Thursday, where students can dress up as their favorite childhood character.
- Friday, Nov. 6 will be Friday Night Without the Lights, where students can wear their favorite team’s jersey or tee.
- Monday, Nov. 9 will be Mask it up Monday, where students can decorate one of their face masks or coverings to show off their personality.
- Tuesday, Nov. 10 will be Tie Dye Tuesday, where students can wear their favorite tie dye t-shirt.
- Wednesday, Nov. 11 is Veterans Day, where students are asked to reflect and recognize veterans for their service.
- Thursday, Nov. 12 will be “This is Gryphon County” day, where students can show their school pride by wearing blue and gold.
Students and classes will be able to take pictures of themselves each day and submit them to [email protected] for the chance to win a Gryphon Grand Prize. Photos must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 12.
Flat Gryphon Competition
Students will be able to take part in the Flat Gryphon Competition, where they will be able to print out a picture of the school’s mascot and take photos out in the world or photoshop him into different scenes. Students can submit their photos to [email protected] for the chance to win a prize and photos must be submitted before 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 12.
Homecoming Royalty Elections
Two seniors who demonstrate school spirit and represent the school’s core values will be named the Homecoming Royalty. All students are able to nominate a senior to appear on the ballot for Homecoming Royalty.
Seniors who are nominated will then be sent nominee acceptance forms, which will be due by 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 8.
Voting, which will be for seniors only, will begin on Monday, Nov. 9 at 2 p.m. and will close on Thursday Nov. 12 at 11:59 p.m. The winners will be announced at the Homecoming Week online celebration on Saturday, Nov. 14.
Due to social distancing guidelines, there is limited viewing space available for sporting events. Community members are encouraged to follow their favorite team through daily sports announcements.
The scheduled games are as follows:
- Friday, Nov. 6: Girls soccer, Greater Lowell vs. Lowell Catholic
- Thursday, Nov. 5: Cross country, Greater Lowell vs. Shawsheen Tech
- Thursday, Nov. 5: Varsity golf GAC Championships
- Saturday, Nov. 7: Boys soccer, Greater Lowell vs. Essex Tech
- Thursday, Nov. 12: Cross country, Greater Lowell vs. Nashoba Valley
Seniors in the class of 2021 will be able to have their yearbook photo taken on Nov. 6, 10 and 13 by the O’Connor Studios. For more information and to schedule an appointment, please email Student Activities Coordinator Sharon Cornellier at [email protected].
Graduates from the class of 2020 will be able to pick up their yearbooks on Saturday, Nov. 14 from noon to 2 p.m. The drive-through pick up will be held in the visitors lot/main entrance, and yearbooks are free for all 2020 graduates.
Yearbooks from previous years will be available for purchase on Nov. 14 as well. Each book is $10 (cash and exact change only) and all proceeds will go toward the senior class. Yearbooks from 1977 and on are available, but quantities are limited. Alumni who graduated in 2015 to 2018 will be able to pick up the yearbooks from their years for free. A list of available books can be found here.
Homecoming Celebration Virtual Finale
The Homecoming Weeks will culminate in an online celebration that will be held on Saturday, Nov. 14 at 7:30 p.m. The event will showcase sports highlights and photos submitted over the course of the two weeks, and the winners of the Homecoming Royalty Election, School Spirit Days Photo Contest and Flat Gryphon Photo Contest will be announced.
The link for the virtual celebration will be posted on the Greater Lowell Tech website on Nov. 14 prior to the start of the event.
More information about the weeks’ activities can be found on the Greater Lowell Tech website here.