Vote Would Fund $2.2 Million Project to Create Town-Wide Radio System for First Responders
SOUTH KINGSTOWN — Chief Steven Pinch and the Union Fire District of South Kingstown would like to share with residents important information about a local ballot question to be voted on on Election Day.
On Tuesday, Nov. 3, voters will be asked whether or not to pass a bond in the amount of $6.5 million to fund several projects as part of the Town’s capital improvement plan. Of these projects is a $2.2 million request to fund “communication infrastructure improvements” for the creation of a single Town-wide Radio System that will service the Town’s police and emergency medical services departments and the two volunteer fire districts (the Union Fire District and Kingston Fire District).
Public services operations will also be able to utilize the same system. The existing RISCON 800 MHz radio network infrastructure provides inadequate reception and transmission signals in certain areas of town, and this lack of proper coverage creates a public safety concern. The Town engaged a communications engineering firm to develop a more robust communication infrastructure network that will provide adequate coverage.
The Town is planning to migrate to a 400 MHz radio network that has demonstrated better reliability and signal penetration into buildings throughout the community.
The full estimated cost of this multisite simulcast system is approximately $2.8 million. The Town will be responsible for 80% of the total project and the two fire districts will be responsible for the remaining 20%.