IPSWICH — Chief Andy Theriault reports that the Ipswich Fire Department extinguished a two-alarm fire Monday afternoon.
At approximately 3:05 p.m. Monday, Oct. 5, Ipswich Fire responded to a two-story single-family home at 61 River Road for a report of a fire.
While en route smoke was visible from the address. A working fire was transmitted to bring in off-duty firefighters and mutual aid.
Upon arrival, crews saw smoke showing from the eaves and second floor windows of the home. While stretching a hoseline to make an interior attack the fire took possession of the entire second floor with fire showing from two windows and a doorway to an exterior deck.
Fire crews mounted an aggressive exterior fire attack to darken down the heavy fire, then went inside to complete extinguishing the fire.
The fire was brought under control at approximately 3:55 p.m.
There was one resident at home at the time of the fire, who was able to evacuate on their own prior to fire crews arriving on scene.
Mutual aid was provided at the scene by the Rowley, Topsfield and Essex Fire Departments. The Boxford, Newbury and Manchester Fire Departments provided station coverage.
The home sustained approximately $300,000 in damages and is not habitable. The resident did not require assistance from the American Red Cross.
There were no injuries suffered to the resident or firefighters as a result of the blaze.
The fire was investigated by Ipswich Fire and Police Departments and was determined to be accidental due to a wood burning stove.
“I would like to thank the members of the Ipswich Fire Department as well as those neighboring departments that assisted during the fire,” Chief Theriault said. “Thankfully due to their quick and decisive work there were no injuries as a result of the fire.”