MERRIMAC — Chief Larry Fisher is pleased to announce the Merrimac Fire Department is seeking applicants for four full-time Firefighter/EMT positions.
These candidates are expected to have great organizational skills, communicate well, be people oriented, have a desire to learn, and be able to help teach others.
The Merrimac Fire Department serves a community of approximately 6,800 people in an area of approximately nine square miles and responds to an average of 1,025 calls a year. The responses include building, vehicle and wildland fires; water-related incidents; motor vehicle accidents; industrial accidents; and requests for ambulance service for all types of medical emergencies.
These positions are for 12 hour shifts that are on a four days on, four days off schedule. Some overtime is required as well as additional on-call coverage times overnight.
To qualify, applicants should have the minimum requirements:
- A high school diploma or equivalent
- Massachusetts Firefighter 1-2 or Nationally recognized Firefighter I & II certification.
- Massachusetts/National EMT-P certification is preferred. However, national EMT-B will be considered and conditional offers for obtaining EMT-P within 18 months will be made for successful candidates
- Active driver’s license (commercial driver’s license or CDL-B preferred)
- Able to pass a comprehensive criminal background investigation (including credit check and motor vehicle driving history)
- Capable of driving vehicles greater than 26,000 lbs. (CDL-B preferred)
- Must pass Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)
- Must pass or have a current NFPA 1582 physical
- Must sign and pass a criminal offender record information (CORI) check
- Not use any drug/marijuana and tobacco products
- Basic computer literacy for Windows and Apple products
Residency within 20 miles is preferred. Additionally considerations will be given to those who have Fire Prevention Officer, Fire Officer and Fire Instructor credentials; and those who are a Fire Safety Officer and/or Public and Fire Life Safety Educator.
All potential candidates should submit a letter of interest, a resume, and a completed departmental employment application to Chief Larry S. Fisher at firstname.lastname@example.org with “FF/EMT Application” in the subject line.
The positions will remain open until they are filled.
The Town of Merrimac is an equal-opportunity employer.