GEORGETOWN — Chief Fred Mitchell reports that the Georgetown Fire Department responded to a gas leak on Searle Street earlier this morning, which has since been brought under control.
At approximately 7:30 a.m., Georgetown Fire responded to the area of 5 Searle St. after a gas main was struck and damaged during road construction.
The leak was stopped at approximately 8:50 a.m.
Several residents within the area of the leak were evacuated as a precaution. No natural gas was detected inside any of the homes and residents have since returned to their homes after each house was checked.
At this time, one customer is awaiting the restoration of gas service.
Tenney Street and Marlboro Road in Georgetown have been reopened following the gas leak. Searle Street, which was previously closed off to traffic due to ongoing construction work, remains closed at this time.
The Groveland Fire Department provided station coverage during the incident.
Repair work is currently being carried out by National Grid Massachusetts Gas. The work will continue throughout the early afternoon. Motorists are encouraged to avoid the area.
“We would like to remind residents to evacuate their homes and call for help if they smell gas,” Chief Mitchell said. “I would also like to thank the firefighters and police officers who responded for their quick and decisive actions in containing and controlling a potentially dangerous incident.”