WAKEFIELD —Chief Michael Sullivan reports that the Wakefield Fire Department responded to a large gas leak in town on Monday morning.
At approximately 9:30 a.m., Wakefield Fire responded to the area of 168 Montrose Ave. for a report of a ruptured gas line.
Upon arrival, firefighters located a construction crew that was working on underground electrical lines when an excavator accidentally struck and ruptured a medium pressure natural gas line within the work zone.
Firefighters immediately deployed several hose lines to dissipate the natural gas as it exited the hole, helping to push the gas fumes away from nearby homes.
Residents from approximately six nearby homes were evacuated as a precaution with the assistance of the Wakefield Police Department. Firefighters checked the interior of the evacuated residences with gas meters to check for any accumulation of natural gas. Fortunately, no natural gas was detected inside any of the homes.
Wakefield firefighters continued to direct water over the excavation site and monitor the nearby homes for natural gas while members of the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department (WMGLD) responded and worked to stop the leak.
The leak was stopped at approximately 10:45 a.m.
All residual gas was quickly dissipated by the spraying water and all residents were allowed back into their homes once their houses were checked a final time for gas accumulation. Each house was deemed safe to re-enter.
The scene was then turned over to WMGLD employees to finish repairs to the damaged pipeline.
The Wakefield Fire Department cleared the scene at approximately 11:10 a.m., leaving the WMGLD employees to finish their repairs.
There were no injuries reported in the incident.
Chief Sullivan praised Captain Paul Pronco and the responding firefighters for their quick and decisive actions in containing and controlling the potentially dangerous incident.
“Members of Wakefield Fire, the Wakefield Police Department and WMGLD worked together in an efficient manner to quickly manage and mitigate this incident, while also working to contain the situation to prevent the potential for injuries,” Chief Sullivan said.