GLOUCESTER — Chief Eric Smith reports that the Gloucester Fire Department extinguished a fire likely caused by an unattended candle yesterday.
At 4:42 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 9, Gloucester firefighters responded to a report of heavy smoke in a building on Warner Street. Upon arrival, firefighters found several occupants of a multi-family home at 30 Warner St. that had evacuated and alarms were sounding from the building, with no visible smoke from the outside of the building.
Crews searched for and located flames that were the source of the reported smoke in one of the units, and acted quickly to extinguish them.
Through an on-scene investigation, the Gloucester Fire Department determined the cause of the fire to be unintentional and likely the result of an unattended candle which likely caused nearby flammable materials to catch fire.
Damage from the fire was confined to a small area in the corner of the affected room, and residents were able to safely reenter the home once the fire was extinguished.
No one was injured, and first responders had cleared the scene by 6:16 p.m.
“Fortunately, we were called to this scene early on and were able to quickly extinguish this fire,” Chief Smith said. “No one was hurt, and the home remains habitable. It’s a visible reminder for our entire community: be extremely careful when using candles. They can and do cause serious, life threatening fires when left unattended.”
Chief Smith and the Gloucester Fire Department wish to share the following candle safety tips from the National Fire Protection Association:
- Always extinguish a candle before leaving a room or going to bed.
- Avoid using candles in areas where people may fall asleep, such as a bedroom.
- Candles should be kept at least 1 foot away from anything flammable.
- When burning candles, be sure to:
- Use sturdy candle holders.
- Put candles on uncluttered and sturdy surfaces.
- Keep loose clothing and hair out of the way when lighting a candle.
- Never burn a candle all the way down. When the wick gets close to the bottom of the holder or container, put out the flame.
- If someone uses oxygen in your home, never use candles.
- Be sure to have flashlights and battery powered light options in the event of a storm, instead of relying on candles in an emergency.
- Children should never be left alone in a room with a candle, and matches and lighters should be kept out of children’s reach, ideally in a locked container or cabinet.
For more candle fire safety information, visit the NFPA website here.