ACTON — Chief Robert Hart reports that the Acton Fire Department responded to a carbon monoxide incident at a residence today.
On Wednesday, July 22, at 10:10 a.m., the Acton Fire Department responded to 117 Arlington St. after the two occupants of the home called 911 after their carbon monoxide alarm went off.
Fire personnel discovered a high concentration of carbon monoxide in the home and began to thoroughly ventilate it for approximately an hour before the residents were allowed to safely re-enter.
The residents received medical treatment at the scene.
The cause of the high carbon monoxide levels was determined to be a gas hot water heater in the basement of the home.
“Carbon monoxide can be a silent killer, so it is extremely important to take as many preventative measures possible to protect yourself and to know the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning,” Chief Hart said. “Please contact the Acton Fire Department if you have any questions about how to protect yourself against carbon monoxide poisoning.”
The Acton Fire Department can be reached at 978-929-7722.
The Acton Fire Department would like to remind residents of several important safety tips from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention regarding carbon monoxide safety:
- If your carbon monoxide detector is sounding, call 911 immediately.
- Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas or coal-burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
- Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors.
- Never use a generator inside your home, basement or garage or less than 20 feet from any window, door or vent; fatal levels of carbon monoxide can be produced in just minutes.
- Have your chimney checked and cleaned every year, and make sure your fireplace damper is open before lighting a fire and well after the fire is extinguished.
- Make sure your gas appliances are vented properly.
- Never use your oven for heating your home.
- Never let a car idle in the garage.