SOMERSET– Chief George McNeil is pleased to share that the Somerset Police Department will be rewarding local children practicing bicycle safety this summer with gift certificates to buy ice cream from a local ice cream shop.
For the third year, members of the Somerset Police Department will be rewarding children that they spot wearing their helmets on their bicycles this summer with a $5 gift certificate to Somerset Creamery.
The bicycle safety initiative began two years ago, and was funded by donations from community members. This summer, the program was supported by Chief McNeil, who purchased 50 gift certificates, and Somerset Public School Committee Member Victor Machado who generously matched this contribution to the initiative.
“This program is a unique and fun way for our officers to build relationships with the youth while simultaneously promoting bicycle safety,” Chief McNeil said. “Not all children understand how vital wearing a helmet is, and it is important to remind them to always wear one, even when biking short distances.”
The Somerset Police Department would also like to remind the community of the following bicycle safety tips from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
Bicyclist Safety Tips:
- Wear a helmet that properly fits and adjust your bicycle properly to your height.
- Inflate tires and check your brakes.
- Make yourself visible to drivers regardless of the time of day by wearing neon, fluorescent or bright colors. Wear reflective tape or markings, or flashing lights.
- Keep both hands on the handlebars, unless signaling a turn.
- Use a bike carrier or backpack if you’re transporting books, snacks, etc.
- Watch out for potholes, broken glass, gravel, dogs, puddles and other potential road hazards.
- Ride in the same direction as motor traffic.
- Use proper turn signals.
- State “passing on your left” or “on your left” when passing a pedestrian or other bicyclist.
- Obey traffic laws, including all signs, signals, and lane markings.
- Yield to traffic.
- Yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk.
- Ride in a straight line.
- Look before turning.
- Be cautious of parked cars that may have passengers opening doors, or that may attempt to pull into the road.
- Ride in bike lanes or on bike paths when possible.