WHITMAN — Fire Chief Timothy Grenno reports that the Whitman Fire Department responded to a natural gas leak Thursday morning.
Firefighters responded to an address on Bedford Street (Route 18) near the intersection of Auburn Street (Route 14) at approximately 8:30 a.m. Upon arrival, firefighters found that a machine had struck a two-inch gas main as a result of the markings in the street not being accurate as to where the line was located.
National Grid was immediately notified and the surrounding area was checked. A strong odor of gas was detected in the buildings in close proximity to the leak, and several buildings were evacuated as a precaution.
The scene was maintained until the arrival of National Grid crews.
After the gas was secured people were allowed to re-enter the surrounding buildings.
As a precaution Whitman firefighters prepared a blitz gun (large fire hose) and established a water supply, but no water needed to be deployed.
The scene was cleared by 10:21 a.m.