WHITMAN — Chief Timothy Grenno reports that the Whitman Fire Department extinguished a house fire on the first floor of a multi-family home on Forest Street Saturday.
At 12:53 a.m. Saturday, June 6, firefighters responded to a 911 call for a fire at 74 Forest St. Upon arrival crews witnessed smoke coming from the front door of the home.
Firefighters located the fire in a first-floor bedroom and worked aggressively to knock down the fire and extinguished the blaze before it spread to other rooms of the house.
Smoke detectors were activated and alerted the homeowners. All occupants were able to safely evacuate the home by the time firefighters arrived.
The East Bridgewater Fire Department provided station coverage while crews were on scene.
The scene was cleared by 2:26 a.m.
A wiring inspector cut power to the first floor unit and a building inspector deemed there was no structural damage to the building.
No injuries were reported as a result of the fire.
The fire was found to have started from an electrical wire coming from a fish tank on top of a wooden bureau. It is believed the water from the fish tank breaking helped extinguish part of the blaze.
Chief Grenno estimates that about $10,000 worth of damage was done as a result of the fire.
The first floor occupants have relocated to a relative’s house. The second floor occupants were able to remain in the home.
“I commend the firefighters for working so quickly to make sure the fire was contained to its room of origin and before it could do any structural damage to the home,” Chief Grenno said.