WINTHROP — Town Manager Austin Faison, Public Health Director Meredith Hurley and Police Chief/Emergency Management Director Terence Delehanty would like to remind residents of the new state order regarding the use of face masks or coverings in public.
Residents will need to wear a face mask or covering when out in public situations where social distancing may be difficult to maintain, such as when shopping at essential businesses like grocery stores or pharmacies, per the order issued by Gov. Charlie Baker last week.
Residents are also required to wear a mask or face covering at all times when using any transportation service or public mass transit.
Residents are still encouraged — but not required — to wear face masks or coverings when outside in public, as long as they are able maintain physical distancing.
Masks should not be worn by young children under the age of 2, persons with difficulty breathing, or those who are unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance.
The cloth face coverings do not have to be surgical masks or N-95 respirators, which should be left for medical professionals and first responders. Information about how to properly remove and make your own face mask can be found on the CDC’s website here.
Key elements to remember when wearing a face covering include:
- It should fit snugly against the side of your face
- It should be secured with ties or ear loops
- It should have multiple layers of fabric
- It should allow for breathing without restriction
- Fabric face coverings should be cleaned after each use and should be machine washable and dryer safe
- Always remove the mask directly into the laundry or trash and then immediately wash your hands
- Be careful not to touch your eyes, nose, or mouth when removing your mask
This order remains in effect until further notice. Further guidance from the Department of Public Health is available at mass.gov/coveryourface.
The Town encourages everyone to stay informed regarding COVID-19. The following resources are recommended for the most updated information:
- Town of Winthrop Official COVID-19 updates – https://www.town.winthrop.ma.us/home/urgent-alerts/covid-19-public-health-updates
- Winthrop Public Safety website – https://winthroppublicsafety.com/
- Winthrop COVID-19 Tip Hotline – https://winthroppublicsafety.com/covid-19-tip-hotline/
- Massachusetts Department of Public Health – https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-updates-and-information
- Massachusetts 2-1-1 general COVID-19 information – https://mass211.org/ or dial 2-1-1 (24/7)
- Massachusetts COVID-19 text updates: Text “COVIDMA” to 888-777
- United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – https://www.cdc.gov/
- The Children’s Advocacy Center of Suffolk County – https://www.suffolkcac.org/support-resources/covid-19-support