IPSWICH — Police Chief and Harbormaster Paul A. Nikas announces the Town Wharf will be closed starting this week as the reconstruction project for the area begins.
Work is expected to last until at least mid-June and will consist of building a new boat launch ramp, repairing the sea wall and its cap, replacing steel pipe piles for the floating docks, and marking out a pedestrian walkway along the wall.
The estimated timeline of the work is as follows:
- From April 16-17, workers will be staging of equipment, installing environmental barriers and saw cutting asphalt.
- From April 20 until May 11, workers will demolish and reconstruct the boat ramp.
- From April 24 until May 11, workers will repair the concrete sea wall.
- From May 13 until June 8, workers will repair the concrete wall cap for the sea wall and install the steel pipe piles for the floating docks.
- From June 9-15, workers will backfill, repave and add striping to the pedestrian walkway.
These dates are subject to change, due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances. Residents are asked to avoid the area while the work is being done.
“We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank all residents for their understanding while crews make these necessary repairs,” Chief Nikas said. “Once this work is done, it will ensure that the wharf is safe for all boaters, walkers or anyone else who may use it.”
The project is being funded and overseen by the Fishing and Boat Access Office of the Massachusetts State Department of Fish and Game.
After May 15, launch fees and permits will still be required to launch from the wharf once the boat ramp is operational.
Residents are strongly encouraged to purchase launch permits online through the Town’s secure web service, which will be mailed to either the permit holder’s home or mailing address. Town offices remain closed to the public in response to the COVID-19 pandemic in order to mitigate the spread of the virus.
Launch permits can be purchased online here. Please select “Ipswich” from the municipality drop down box and click the boat launch option on the left side of the screen.
In order to purchase the permit, you will need your boat trailer plate number, your boat registration number and a picture (in the form of a .pdf, .gif, .jpg or .png) of your boat registration to upload.
Residents with questions regarding launch permits or the Town Wharf repairs can contact the Harbor Patrol by calling 978-356-4343.