BRIDGEWATER — Town Manager Michael Dutton and Town Clerk Marilee Kenney Hunt would like to provide the community with information regarding Town Clerk services after the closure of municipal offices in town in an effort to combat the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
The Bridgewater Town Offices are closed to the public until further notice. However, Town Clerk office staff will be working remotely. Staff is available by calling 508-697-0921 or 774-380-0157, through requests made through the town website, or by written requests left in the drop box at the rear of the Town Office on the Bedford Street side or mailed to 66 Central Square, Bridgewater, MA 02324.
The changes to services provided by the Town Clerk’s office are as follows:
- Business certificate renewals will be done when the town offices re-open. If you are required to file or show proof of filing your status, contact the town clerk at [email protected].
- Residents can renew or purchase a new license for their dogs online here. For those licensing a new dog, proof of rabies vaccination, the dog’s name, age, color, gender and spay or neuter status should be sent via e-mail to [email protected]. A hard copy can also be placed in the drop box or mailed to 66 Central Square, Bridgewater, MA 02324.
- The annual Town Election has been postponed until further notice. The new date for the election has not yet been set, but will likely be near the end of June. Voters may participate in the election by casting absentee ballots or early voting by mail. Applications can be sent by mail, e-mail or left in the drop box.
- Notary services will be provided on an as-needed basis. If you have an emergency that requires immediate action, consideration will be on a case-by-case basis, with the safety of staff and the community a priority.
- Marriage ceremonies will be provided by appointment only for those whose wedding date is scheduled within the next week. A detailed protocol has been designed for the safety of all parties. To request a copy of the protocol and arrange an appointment, contact the Town Clerk’s Office at [email protected], or call 508-697-0921 or 774-380-0157. After application, there is a 3-day waiting period before the license is valid and can be picked up.
- Justice of the Peace services will be provided only by appointment and outside the Academy Building while practicing social distancing. To set up an appointment, call 774-380-0157.
- Oath of Office for Board and Committee Members will resume when town offices are reopened. If your board, commission or committee is meeting and you have not taken your oath of office, please contact call 774-380-0157 before the meeting to make arrangements.
- Public record requests can be submitted to [email protected]. Requests will be fulfilled as soon as possible.
- For Birth, Death and Marriage Certificate certified copies, contact the Town Clerk at [email protected] to determine if Bridgewater has the record. Once the record is found, it can be requested and paid for online here. Requests and payments can also be made by mail, and residents should include a self-addressed stamped envelope. Requests should be mailed to Bridgewater Town Clerk, Academy Building, 66 Central Square, Bridgewater, MA 02324. The fee for each certified copy is $10.
- Voter registration can be done online here. Voter registration status can be viewed here.
Town officials continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation and information and updates will be shared as soon as they become available. Residents can also view updates on the town’s informational website here.
For more information on COVID-19, visit the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) website by clicking here and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) website by clicking here.