WENHAM — Chief Thomas Perkins and the Wenham Police Department would like to provide important safety tips in anticipation of cold temperatures this weekend.
According to the National Weather Service, this weekend’s forecast indicates temperatures that could reach the low single digits.
“Those traveling should be mindful of pipes bursting in their homes due to cold temperatures,” Chief Perkins said. “We also advise residents to bring their pets while traveling or to leave them with a neighbor.”
Cold temperatures will feel even colder when the wind gusts. Roadways, especially at night and early in the morning may have black ice as snow that melts during the day may re-freeze on roads and driveways overnight.
Residents should avoid prolonged periods outside and should avoid physical exertion outdoors during the coldest portions of the weekend. Friday evening is expected to bring temperatures as low as 5 degrees in Wenham.
The Wenham Police Department advises residents follow important safety tips from the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency:
- If outside, dress in several layers of loose-fitting, lightweight clothing instead of a single heavy layer.
- Check with elderly or disabled relatives and neighbors to ensure their safety.
- Ensure you have sufficient heating fuel, as well as alternate emergency heating equipment in case you lose electricity.
- When utilizing alternate heating sources, such as an emergency generator, your fireplace, wood stove or space heater, make sure they are properly ventilated and always operate a generator outdoors and away from your home. Improper use of heating devices can lead to dangerous carbon monoxide buildup in the home.
- Be mindful of pipes freezing, a helpful tip is to open your cabinet doors at night to bring in the heat.
- Those traveling should unplug electric devices and turn off their water supply, keeping their heat set for 55 degrees.
- Ensure your vehicle is ready for safe winter driving. Keep the gas tank at least half-full and have a Winter Emergency Car Kit in the trunk.