WHITMAN — Chief Timothy Grenno reports that the Whitman Fire Department extinguished a house fire Friday evening, Feb. 7.
At approximately 8:30 p.m. Whitman firefighters responded to a report of a fire at a home at 26 Candlewick Lane. Upon arrival, firefighters found heavy smoke and began an aggressive attack.
Crews from Abington, Hanson, East Bridgewater and Rockland assisted on scene and provided station coverage. Halifax Ambulance also responded.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames and all units were cleared from the scene by 10:20 p.m.
An initial investigation shows the cause of the fire was a candle that was being used due to a power outage. Many homes in Whitman and the surrounding area lost power as a result of the heavy wind and rain storms that hit the area Friday afternoon and early evening.
The damage was estimated at $100,000.
“Crews did a fantastic job with a quick, textbook knock down of the fire, which limited the amount of damage to the home,” Chief Grenno said. “We were inundated with emergency calls due to the storm, and everyone acted quickly and efficiently to provide residents with the services and assistance needed.”
In total, Whitman crews responded to nine storm-related calls and 14 other emergency incidents Friday.
Candle Safety Tips
Chief Grenno reminds residents to never use candles in the event of a power outage. Instead, use flashlights or other forms of battery-powered lighting.
Other candle safety tips, courtesy the National Fire Protection Association, include:
- Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
- Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.
- Keep candles at least 1 foot away from anything that can burn.
- Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won’t tip over easily. Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
- Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.
- Don’t burn a candle all the way down — put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container.
- Never use a candle if oxygen is being used in the home.