For Immediate Release
Monday, Dec. 30, 2019
Media Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
CONCORD — Police Chief Joseph O’Connor, Fire Chief Thomas M. Judge and State Fire Marshal Peter J. Ostroskey report that the cause of the 4-alarm fire at 240 Fairhaven Hill Road on Friday, Dec. 27 was an accidental chimney fire.
Investigators determined that a fire in the fireplace extended from inside the chimney through a breach in the mortar. This allowed super-heated gases to escape and ignite structural components.
“We’re confident the fireplace was used in a correct and appropriate manner by the occupants of the home, and that this was an accident,” Chief Judge said.
The Concord Fire Department, the Concord Police Department, the District 14 Fire Investigation Team and State Police assigned to the Office of the State Fire Marshal jointly investigated the fire.