Gloucester Fire Department Offers Cooking Fire Safety Tips

Gloucester Fire Department
Eric Smith, Fire Chief
8 School St.
Gloucester, MA 01930

 

For Immediate Release

Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2019

Contact: Kelsey Bode
Phone: 617-993-0003
Email: [email protected]

Gloucester Fire Department Offers Cooking Fire Safety Tips

GLOUCESTER — With Thanksgiving on the horizon, Chief Eric Smith and the Gloucester Fire Department wish to offer cooking fire safety tips to residents.

The Gloucester Fire Department is joining the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services in its cooking fire safety campaign this fall, which is promoting the messages “Stand by your pan” to encourage the public to remain vigilant while cooking and “Put a lid on it” to remind those cooking that placing a lid on stove-top fire is the recommended response.

According to the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services, Thanksgiving is the leading day for home fires, which are most frequently caused by cooking. 

“We wish everyone a happy, fun-filled Thanksgiving holiday this year, and are urging residents to never leave cooking food unattended,” Chief Smith said. “It’s incredibly dangerous to leave anything cooking without supervision, and far too often, it can lead to a fire.”

According to the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments in the United States are dispatched to approximately 166,100 fires annually involving cooking equipment, such as a stove or microwave. 

The Gloucester Fire Department wishes to offer the following safety tips, courtesy of the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services:

  • In the event of a grease fire, smother flames with a lid and then turn off the heat. Baking soda will also work.
  • Do not move a burning pan, which can spread the fire.
  • Do not throw water or use a fire extinguisher on a grease fire, as water will spread the fire and the extinguisher could splash flaming grease. 
  • Never leave food, grease or oils cooking on the stove top without supervision.
  • Do not wear loose or long sleeves when cooking, as it can catch fire.
  • Strop, drop and roll if your clothing catches fire, run burns under cool water and call 9-1-1 for help.
  • Keep children and pets three feet away from the stove.
  • Do not store or use flammable objects, such as pot holders, towels, paper or plastic bags, near heating elements.
  • If a fire starts in an oven or microwave, close the door, turn the appliance off and call the fire department.
  • Do not put metal inside a microwave.
  • Unplug appliances such as toasters and coffee makers when you are not using them.
  • Do not store items in an oven.

###

For more information, visit www.nfpa.org/cooking. (Courtesy Image National Fire Prevention Association)