Canton Fire Department Extinguishes 2-Alarm House Fire

Canton Fire Department
Chief Charles E. Doody
99 Revere St.
Canton, MA 02021

For Immediate Release

Monday, Nov. 11, 2019

Contact: Benjamin Paulin
Phone: 781-428-3299
Email: [email protected]

Canton Fire Department Extinguishes 2-Alarm House Fire

CANTON — Chief Charles E. Doody reports that the Canton Fire Department extinguished a 2-alarm house fire early Monday morning.

At approximately 2:44 a.m., Canton Fire received a call from the Holbrook Regional Emergency Communications Center reporting a fire at 6 Weathervane Road. Upon arrival, the members of Engine 4 saw heavy smoke coming from the roof of the building over the garage.

As firefighters began to attack the flames, they focused on the second floor and attic space. As the fire quickly spread throughout the attic, scene commander Captain Ed Freitas ordered all firefighters out of the building.

As firefighters worked to extinguish the flames from outside of the home, Capt. Freitas struck a second alarm and crews from the Stoughton, Norwood, Sharon, Milton and Foxboro fire departments responded to the scene. In addition the Avon, Randolph and Walpole fire departments provided coverage to handle any additional calls.

The Canton Water Department supplemented the water pressure in the area so that sufficient water volume and pressure was available. 

The flames were able to be fully extinguished and after overhauling the home, crews left the scene around 8:50 a.m.

Three residents were inside the house at the time of the fire and were able to safely make it outside with their two dogs. The family was alerted to the fire by the sound of crackling in the walls and evacuated and called 911. The family will be displaced as a result of the fire.

No injuries were reported in the incident.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation by the Canton Fire Department.

The Canton Building Commissioner and Electrical Inspector responded to the scene to inspect the stability of the building and make the utilities safe.

The house sustained significant fire damage to the attic and roof, along with water and smoke damage throughout the rest of the house. Chief Doody estimates that approximately $400,000-$500,000 in damage was done.

“Thankfully everyone was able to make it out of the house safely and no one was hurt,” Chief Doody said. “This fire spread quickly and our firefighters, along with our neighboring departments who responded, did a great job of getting the fire under control and preventing it from spreading further.”