Paul A. Nikas, Chief of Police
15 Elm St.
Ipswich, MA 01938
For Immediate Release
Friday, Sept. 20, 2019
Contact: Jordan Mayblum
Email: [email protected]
Ipswich Police Department Issues Summons to Teen Following Vehicle Pursuit
IPSWICH — Chief Paul Nikas reports that the Ipswich Police Department issued a summons to a teenager after he led police on a motor vehicle pursuit Thursday night.
A JUVENILE MALE, AGE 14, OF IPSWICH was issued a summons on charges of:
- Delinquency by means of Using a Motor Vehicle without Authority
- Delinquency by means of Unlicensed Operation of a Motor Vehicle
- Delinquency by means of Operation to Endanger
- Delinquency by means of Operating an Unregistered Motor Vehicle
- Delinquency by means of Failure to Stop for a Police Officer
- Delinquency by means of Marked Lanes Violation(s)
- Delinquency by means of Stop Sign Violation(s)
- Delinquency by means of Red Light Violation
- Delinquency by means of Speeding greater than reasonable
At approximately 9:40 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 19, an Ipswich Police sergeant attempted to stop a motor vehicle traveling ahead of him on High Street after he observed that the vehicle’s registration expired.
The driver of the vehicle fled the attempted traffic stop, traveling toward Rowley, and the sergeant briefly pursued until abandoning the pursuit for safety reasons. A short time after calling off the pursuit, the sergeant observed the vehicle again traveling southbound on Route 1. He again attempted to stop the vehicle, and the driver fled a second time.
The driver ultimately came to a stop in the area of Lawton Welding, 240 Boston St., after driving over stop sticks that were deployed into the roadway by Topsfield Police in the area of Route 1 and Ipswich Road.
After stopping, the JUVENILE MALE fled on foot and officers requested the assistance of a Massachusetts State Police K-9 unit and the State Police Air Wing. However, the teen was located quickly and those requests were cancelled.
Though he was uninjured, the JUVENILE MALE was transported to an area hospital for a precautionary evaluation.