James Vuona, Fire Chief
11 Church Road
Shrewsbury, MA 01545
For Immediate Release
Monday, Aug. 26, 2019
Media Contact: Jordan Mayblum
Email: [email protected]
Shrewsbury Homeowner Who Survived Potentially Deadly House Fire to Thank First Responders
Woman Who Awoke to Spontaneous Combustion Fire Meets Security Dispatcher who Initiated Response
SHREWSBURY — Fire Chief James Vuona is pleased to announce that the Shrewsbury Fire Department will take part in the reunion among a homeowner, security dispatcher and first responders who were first brought together by a house fire last month.
Tuesday, Aug. 27 at 11 a.m.
The Quinn home, 9 Dorianna Ave, Shrewsbury
- Deborah Quinn, Fire Victim
- Jim Vuona, Chief, Shrewsbury Fire Department
- Kathy Taylor, ADT Dispatcher, Jacksonville, Florida
Deborah Quinn was alone and asleep in her Shrewsbury home last month when spontaneous combustion sparked a fire on her living room floor. As she ran to grab a fire extinguisher, she accidentally activated her burglar alarm sending an emergency signal to ADT’s Customer Care Center in Jacksonville, Florida.
Receiving the signal was ADT Dispatcher Kathy Taylor, who quickly called the Quinn home. Taylor heard Quinn coughing and sensed distress, so she immediately phoned 911. When Shrewsbury Firefighters arrived, they doused the flames, saving the home and irreplaceable possessions. Deborah is anxious to thank her rescuers, including Kathy, who is flying hundreds of miles to meet her for the first time.
For its quick and effective response, ADT is generously donating $5,000 to the Shrewsbury Fire Department to further support its efforts to protect the Shrewsbury community.
Dramatic 911 audio from the night of the fire will also be available.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, there have been at least 19 Massachusetts residents killed in home fires this year.