Whitman Fire Department Extinguishes Fire Inside Apartment Building

Whitman Fire Department
Timothy J. Grenno, Fire Chief
56 Temple St.
Whitman, MA 02382

For Immediate Release

Thursday, July 25, 2019

Contact: Benjamin Paulin
Phone: 781-428-3299
Email: [email protected]

Whitman Fire Department Extinguishes Fire Inside Apartment Building

WHITMAN — Chief Timothy Grenno reports that the Whitman Fire Department extinguished a fire inside an apartment late Wednesday night, July 24.

At approximately 10:20 p.m. Wednesday, the Whitman Fire Department received a sprinkler water flow alarm at the Bostonian Loft Apartments, 7 Marble St., inside a first floor apartment.

Upon arrival, firefighters came upon a grease fire on the stove of the apartment. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the flames.

Through the subsequent investigation, it was determined that a resident of the apartment had attempted to extinguish the grease fire with water, causing it to rapidly intensify and extend to the kitchen cabinets.

The fire caused the sprinkler system to activate in the kitchen, which helped to keep the fire from spreading until firefighters arrived.

No one was injured in the incident. However, the family living in the apartment, a husband and wife and two children, were displaced due to the fire, water and smoke damage to the apartment. The American Red Cross responded to assist the family. Approximately $30,000 in damage was done to the apartment.

Firefighters used smoke ejectors to clear the heavy smoke from the building and residents were allowed to return back to their apartments at approximately 11:30 p.m.

The fire was determined to be accidental.

Members of the Hanson Fire Department responded to provide station coverage for Whitman while the scene was active.

Chief Grenno would like to use this opportunity to remind residents to never use water to attempt to extinguish a grease fire. The reaction will cause the fire to intensify and spread faster. Instead, grease fires should be covered with a metal lid or smothered with baking soda or salt. Always call 911 in the event of a fire that is out of control.

He would also like to remind residents to always evacuate a building that has the fire alarm sounding. Several residents of the apartment building did not evacuate, despite an active fire in the building.

“Thankfully the sprinkler system activated and was able to contain the fire to the kitchen area,” Chief Grenno said. “I want to commend our firefighters for quickly putting out the flames. This is a very large building with several apartments and we were able to successfully contain it to the one unit.”

 

###